DI Water Filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Anyone else use a DI Vessel to filter water to wash their cars?

I have just bought one and it should arrive on Thursday. Excited to not have to dry my cars anymore!!! :)

Hi there,

I have one which i use for a final rinse on the car to aid drying. I do not recommend you run this water through your pressure washer!

If your car is ceramic coated you can almost dry the car entirely with water, i love it.

Let us know how you get on!

I do not recommend you run this water through your pressure washer!

How come? I was planning on using it with my pressure washer :(

How come? I was planning on using it with my pressure washer :(

As far as i understand the pressure washer could fail as it won't be able maintain the water pressure required. I.e it will run then stop to regain pressure and repeat.

I'm sure someone like @SummitDetailing could explain better!

As far as i understand the pressure washer could fail as it won't be able maintain the water pressure required. I.e it will run then stop to regain pressure and repeat.

I'm sure someone like @SummitDetailing could explain better!

oh I see! That is something I shall look into! Thanks :)

You're only supposed to use the DI filter for the final rinse, don't use it with a power washer.
Use it with an open ended hose, and very little water pressure.

What is this DI Filter? Is it some sort of deioniser? Where did you get it? What is the cost? Post a pic, let's have a look at it, do you really think it's a worthwhile addition to your wash kit? Don't you have enough car bits filling your garage already? These are all questions I must have positive answers for, because Mrs 103 is going to be firing them at me. Whoe betide me if I stutter over the answers, she'll be straight back with "isn't it time I decorated the sitting room?" Do sane people still have sitting rooms? :dk:

What is this DI Filter? Is it some sort of deioniser? Where did you get it? What is the cost? Post a pic, let's have a look at it, do you really think it's a worthwhile addition to your wash kit? Don't you have enough car bits filling your garage already? These are all questions I must have positive answers for, because Mrs 103 is going to be firing them at me. Whoe betide me if I stutter over the answers, she'll be straight back with "isn't it time I decorated the sitting room?" Do sane people still have sitting rooms? :dk:

Haha :)

I think it’s worthwhile because you no longer need to dry your car, just let it air-dry. :)

The one below works out around £75 with the 5% off code currently live on ebay.

DI Pressure Vessel 11 Litre FULL OF RESIN - For Window Cleaning Pure Water | eBay

I use one for the final rinse on my car with an open hose. Makes drying the car simple especially in direct sunlight or when the weather warms up. For the final dry I use a motorcycle blower. Glass comes out spot free and no drips from mirrors, handles, fuel filler door, around the wheel nuts and elsewhere. Do NOT use the filter with pressure washer.

Simple guide, it is the size of a scuba tank, filled with a resin. connect water to one side and hose to car the other and just rinse away liberally. Resin can be replaced manually, but smells like fish!!!

Reactions: AMV
Well I used it to wash both my cars - coupled with my pressure washer. I used it for the entire process of washing and rinsing. Very very happy with it.
Washing with filtered water is the way forwards. :cool:

Well I used it to wash both my cars - coupled with my pressure washer. I used it for the entire process of washing and rinsing. Very very happy with it.

You're just wasting the resin if you use it to wash as well

These things are common in industry, especially if you have a machine with a heating/cooling system or you have to fill portable boilers/steamers etc. If you need the output and can afford it some have a flow meter/timer set up where it regenerates itself via an automatic back flush . Many use salt as a medium as well as the resin...that type probably best avoided to wash your pride and joy ;).
A good thing to own, particularly if you live in a hard water area and have a black car !...as for jet wash use, I guess it depends on the kind of pressure washer you have , my electric one likes the positive supply from the tap while my petrol one will suck water out of an old water butt or river if need be.

You're just wasting the resin if you use it to wash as well

next time I will use it for rinsing only - today I was excited and just wanted to try it out. :)

And rinse using the DI with an open ended hose, not the pressure washer.
If your car has been ceramic coated, or has something like Gyeon wetcoat then you can nearly get the car dry with just the filtered water

Pointless using it with the pressure washer mate as your just wasting it just use it when your all done with an open end hose pipe. They are great especially for black car in the summer when it's hot and your rushing around trying to dry it before you get water marks. I need to purchase a new one as mine has ran out now. I think on average you get about 80 washers generally.

You'll be spending a lot of money on resin and it is really just a waste to do anything but your final rinse (provided the car is not dry between phases).

Pointless using it with the pressure washer mate as your just wasting it just use it when your all done with an open end hose pipe. They are great especially for black car in the summer when it's hot and your rushing around trying to dry it before you get water marks. I need to purchase a new one as mine has ran out now. I think on average you get about 80 washers generally.

Suggest you get a little test meter (TDS - they are about £5-00 on Banggood) that will tell you the level of dissolved solids in your water. Up to 10ppm is still ok for rinsing.

In the past I used the pressure washer until final rinse and then a separate hose for the filtered rinse. On Monday I tried connecting the filter to my pressure washer and turned the PW power off. Just kept testing teh water until soft water was flowing. Worked fine and saved me dragging out a second hose (I have a short hose that connects my PW to the tap).

Digital LCD TDS3/TEMP/PPM TDS Meter Tester Pen Stick Water Quality Measurement & Analysis Instruments from Tools, Industrial & Scientific on banggood.com

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y2YCKS5/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Suggest you get a little test meter (TDS - they are about £5-00 on Banggood) that will tell you the level of dissolved solids in your water. Up to 10ppm is still ok for rinsing.
Good advice regarding getting & using a TDS meter, however I’d avoid the cheap knock-offs as they give unreliable results. You can get a genuine HM TDS-3 from Daqua for £18 that you can trust. They’re also a good supplier for resins.

FWIW, my experience is that I can just about get away with up to 25ppm TDS on a black car without it leaving marks, but the TDS level will rise very rapidly after that with little additional use, so I try to change the resin once it gets to no more than 30ppm TDS.

Good advice regarding getting & using a TDS meter, however I’d avoid the cheap knock-offs as they give unreliable results. You can get a genuine HM TDS-3 from Daqua for £18 that you can trust. They’re also a good supplier for resins.

FWIW, my experience is that I can just about get away with up to 25ppm TDS on a black car without it leaving marks, but the TDS level will rise very rapidly after that with little additional use, so I try to change the resin once it gets to no more than 30ppm TDS.
Yep - any TDS is better than guessing. I'll be going toward 20ppm before I buy new resin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom