Diagnosis of battery problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 Proper gearbox
I just had to go out as a matter of urgency (look at the time) and my engine wouldn’t turn over. There’s enough power for the headlights, locks etc, but not enough to start it. I just can’t remember the procedure for diagnosing a dead battery; there has been no warning of an impending problem. I’ve got a meter to test it with. Please can someone jog my memory on this one.

Home again now, daughter’s fiesta to the rescue, so I’ll check it later.

Thanks in advance.

How we checked batteries was to fully charge with a battery charger, attach multimeter to the battery, turn on headlamps observing slight drop in battery voltage, start engine still with lamps on fully and the alternator should be putting from memory 13.8 volts on to the battery, if alternator voltage ok probably a duff battery. Go to your local Kwik Fit centre and ask for your free battery check, most places who sell batteries offer free checks, you dont have to buy from them though.

Originally posted by Andy W
How we checked batteries was to fully charge with a battery charger, attach multimeter to the battery, turn on headlamps observing slight drop in battery voltage, start engine still with lamps on fully and the alternator should be putting from memory 13.8 volts on to the battery, if alternator voltage ok probably a duff battery. Go to your local Kwik Fit centre and ask for your free battery check, most places who sell batteries offer free checks, you dont have to buy from them though.

Beware FREE BATTERY CHECKS.

They are only interested in selling you a new one mate.:crazy: :crazy:

I have a proper load test battery tester, not too far from you either.

Originally posted by jimmy
I have a proper load test battery tester, not too far from you either.

Cheers, that sounds like a good idea Jimmy, trouble is I've just tried starting and of course it wont. I'll put it on charge now and wait. Have you got a battery in stock?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Simon
Cheers, that sounds like a good idea Jimmy, trouble is I've just tried starting and of course it wont. I'll put it on charge now and wait. Have you got a battery in stock?

Thanks.

Yes, they fit a choice of two to the 202 petrols if its the big one it fills the space next to the spare wheel, the smaller one come about 3/4 back. Both available.

Best to have the battery fully charged before testing anyway.

Originally posted by jaymanek
Have you checked the deionised water...

Yes thanks, there's plenty in there.

It's only reading 11.5v and down to 10.5v with the headlights on.

Jimmy it's a 12v 100Ah 450A

battery.jpg

Jimmy,

I'll try and start it at about 3pm and if successful see you soon after. That OK?

Cheers.

Originally posted by Simon
Jimmy,

I'll try and start it at about 3pm and if successful see you soon after. That OK?

Cheers.

OK. Looks like the big one from the pic, an 027 got two in stock.

Problem solved with a new battery from Jimmy (Express AutoParts Kettering).

Thanks for the input peeps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom