Diagnostic software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tobius

Car
1997 e300 td estate
hi All
I was thinking of getting my own software to sort problems out with the car.

Anyone got any experience/knowledge of this, never done it before.

I was looking at buying Carsoft Mercedes-Benz 7.4, seems like it does all you want it to do.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks

I believe STAR is the best system available but can be a bit of a mind field getting a decent setup.
Official kit costs silly money but copied versions (or clones) can be very good.
Trick is to find a good source for decent quality clones.

I use carsoft on my 1999 c class and have no problems with it but note that some interfaces are not full multiplex interfaces and will only be wired to monitor the engine codes.You can rewire this to allow you to check all modules fitted to your model (as I have done) but it would be easier to get a full multiplex interface in the first place.

I use carsoft on my 1999 c class and have no problems with it but note that some interfaces are not full multiplex interfaces and will only be wired to monitor the engine codes.You can rewire this to allow you to check all modules fitted to your model (as I have done) but it would be easier to get a full multiplex interface in the first place.

I'd be really grateful if you could explain how you rewired it because I made the mistake of buying the cheap version that's not full multiplex.

alanb

If you check which pins you have present in the diagnostic socket and use the WIS diagram you can work out which modules are present in your car.
Mount enough 4mm single connector sockets in a plastic box i.e. one for each module as well as ground and supply and label them accordingly.
Connect a wire from each corresponding pin on the plug supplied with the tool and connect the other ends to the sockets in the box.I used a length of multicore cable for ease.A note of caution.......the plastic of the supplied socket can be extrememy soft and melts very quickly.DO NOT over heat the pins when soldering.You can now use the supplied lead with the three 4mm plugs to connect to the new box.The red and black plugs are the supply and the yellow one can be plugged into whichever module connecter want to check:just run the relevent diagnostic from the carsoft menu.The pictures should help the explanation.

Attachments

• P6040023.jpg
    P6040023.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 98
  • P6010025.jpg
    P6010025.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 99
  • P6010026.jpg
    P6010026.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 98
I have attached the diagram of the diagnostic socket as well.I have had to zip this file.

Attachments

• 38 pin socket.zip
    79.2 KB · Views: 15
Sorry about picture sizes,I didn't realize they would be so large but I havn't worked out how to reduce them.The "how to " section doesn't help.

Last edited:
This is enormously helpful. Thank you for the time you've spent with this. I'd buy you a beer if you were nearby:) I have an OBD port but the connections follow the same logic, I'm sure. Off to Maplins shortly to buy the bits.

At first I thought I'd made a mistake not buying the multiplex version but they are a lot cheaper and this modification resolves the problem nicely.

Alanb

I don't think this will work with the obd 2 port.If you don't have the 38 pin connector in the engine bay then I think you will have to get a full obd2 tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom