DIAGNOSTIC TOOL advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astamir

MB Enthusiast
Car
w208 silver clk55
Hi guys
Looking for a good universal diagnostic machine that i can use on mercs and others.
To save a bit I would go for the software with laptop to connect through OBD2 if that would work with mercs and other cars.
Do you guys know where to get from or to download software for laptop from ?
Cheers

You should describe your expectations a bit better. Many tools work to some extent on several cars but the Star diagnosis tool is the only one that works properly on all MBs, also those that do not have any OBD2 port.

SW is not an issue if you are after a compromise on MB diagnosis and want to cover other brands too to some extent. These tools would include SW for your laptop. Have you looked at Delphi/Autocom?

I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 device from eBay for £4.99 - works perfect on my CLS 320 (plus it came with a sh*tload of diagnostic software)

I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 device from eBay for £4.99 - works perfect on my CLS 320 (plus it came with a sh*tload of diagnostic software)

Care to share a link? Sounds interesting :)

Works perfect? Sounds like an ideal tool for MB workshops. Service would become a lot cheaper. :rolleyes: Of course we may define "perfect" differently. :doh:

OK well it hasn't failed to give me a correct diagnostic as of yet - seeing MB charge £60 just to plug it in, it's the best £4.99 I have spent

Should also add - I have also used it in a 2008 BMW 3 Series and a 2006 Subaru Impreza (although had to change a few settings to get the software to run on the Scooby smoothly - was suffering a bit of lag when viewing live data)

OK well it hasn't failed to give me a correct diagnostic as of yet - seeing MB charge £60 just to plug it in, it's the best £4.99 I have spent

Don't get me wrong, your device is very likely good value for the money. It is just that not all of us want to achieve the same things. At some point there is no other option than "the real tool".

Yes totally understand that mate - just putting an option out there for anyone who hasn't come across it before :)

I use a Delphi DS150 Copy from Ebay for about £90:thumb:
Much better than OBD2 Scanner but no where near as good as Star....

My Bluetooth ODBII reader cost £15 and works fine with Torque app on Android.

However, it only reads Generic ODBII codes.

The Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD-802 cost around £500 and can do basic propriety code reading for most makes. This is the cheapest unit I know of that can do (some) manufacturer-specific reading in addition to Generic ODBII, so probably a reasonably-priced tool for the serious DIY mechanic or for a beginner mobile mechanic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCo9YIIdcow

Autel MaxiDiag MD802 Diagnose All vehicles

My Bluetooth ODBII reader cost £15 and works fine with Torque app on Android.

However, it only reads Generic ODBII codes.

The Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD-802 cost around £500 and can do basic propriety code reading for most makes. This is the cheapest unit I know of that can do (some) manufacturer-specific reading in addition to Generic ODBII, so probably a reasonably-priced tool for the serious DIY mechanic or for a beginner mobile mechanic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCo9YIIdcow

Autel MaxiDiag MD802 Diagnose All vehicles

Correction: the MD802 is actually £175 from Amazon...

Ivini merceapp works fine with a Bluetooth dongle. The app is in it's infancy but the BMW version that they've been working on for years is very impressive and also let's you do some coding etc.

Still not a patch on Star though.

t-dawg1 said:
ICarsoft works brilliantly for me
Me too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom