Diagnostic Tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim G

Car
Weistec Supercharged E63
I've read a lot of post on the forum regarding diagnostic software + scanners.

My question is: I'm looking for a pretty comprehensive device that will obviously code read but also give some live data feedback.

Star would be ideal but not at the £000's retail price.

As most of you are aware there are loads of different companies offering more or less the same software/laptop bundles 2 random ones are below:

Mercedes-Benz C3 star Diagnostic Tool [IBM T30]
Auto Diagnostic Tools|Car Diagnostics

Both state "NON CHINESE" so they'll be from somewhere else in Asia then:rolleyes:.

Also found:

Autel MD702 MaxiDiag Elite All Systems Enhanced Code Reader for some European cars

Obvious worries are lumping out around £500 - £600 for something that is basically a code reader on a laptop or worse just doesn't work.

Any help or personnel reviews or links would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Not the latest software as is says it is a 2012 version. From reading threads on here it will be a locked down version if real, i.e not able to receive updates from MB and wold have to go back to MB for unlocking and subscriptions paid if you did want the official factory updates in future?

Taken from the "About us" section

"Our quality control is second to none. We only supply the best quality products available. There are many suppliers who sell less inferior products than us. Less inferior quality not only means cheaper but much higher chance of a warranty return":dk:

Last edited:
Not the latest software as is says it is a 2012 version. From reading threads on here it will be a locked down version if real, i.e not able to receive updates from MB and wold have to go back to MB for unlocking and subscriptions paid if you did want the official factory updates in future?

Taken from their "About us" section

"Our quality control is second to none. We only supply the best quality products available. There are many suppliers who sell less inferior products than us. Less inferior quality not only means cheaper but much higher chance of a warranty return"

I know makes me laugh, there are literally loads of companies offering either software only or software/laptop combos.

Trying to sound out the extremely poor from the Ok is a minefield.

I have the AutoEnginuity PC-based scan tool, with the M-B specific add-on. I can't recommend it - good coverage of vehicle systems, excellent live data display, but slow to read codes, can be picky about the protocol, difficult to clear non-basic fault codes. Very US-centric (though I suspect most will be).

See AutoEnginuity and Gendan Automotive Products :: Professional and DIY car diagnostic tools :: EOBD, OBD II, CAN and VAG Code Readers and Scan Tools

A word of caution about PC/laptop based products. If your laptop is like mine, the battery life is a bit feeble, so I run a Maplins +12v laptop PSU from the cigarette lighter. If you do this, you need to check that the power to the laptop is completely isolated from the car circuit. The large currents taken by the +12volt converter can cause a ground loop through the EOBD connector, possibly causing damage.

Ian.

Cheers Ian,

Not too bad if it's just a bit slow at reading the codes ect.
My main concern was always the live data part, companies stating that their product was compatible and give no feedback.

Last edited:
I am after just the software ... Been googling and ebaying but just confused!

Re manufacturer's support... my handheld Autel MaxiDiag boasts upgradable firmware downloadable from the Internet.

All true... except that since the day this model was released in 2006 and up to the day it was replaced with newer model in 2013, no software updates were ever made available for it....

I am after just the software ... Been googling and ebaying but just confused!

"The software"? Which SW? Do you have the HW for that specific SW?

A high quality Star clone is hardly more than 300 Euros (including shipping and customs duties/VAT) plus perhaps 150 € for a laptop. Even cheaper products exist but are not worth their price.

"The software"? Which SW? Do you have the HW for that specific SW?

A high quality Star clone is hardly more than 300 Euros (including shipping and customs duties/VAT) plus perhaps 150 € for a laptop. Even cheaper products exist but are not worth their price.

I have one of the star clones. The software with it needed registering which of course they refused to do.
I had no idea it was a copy to be honest ...bought brand new on ebay.

I have one of the star clones. The software with it needed registering which of course they refused to do.
I had no idea it was a copy to be honest ...bought brand new on ebay.

Probably better not discuss these topics here in detail but those Chinese SW protection solutions are easy to fix. SW support exists but hardly from the tool seller. Hopefully your tool is good now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom