Diagnostic Trouble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mdvt72

Car
E220cdi
I'm new to the site so bear with me if I dont use it quite right to start off with! Does anybody know where I can take my 2005 E220cdi for an engine diagnostic check. Mercedes want way too much just to plug in a tool in my opinion. My financial situation is tight at the moment and need to find out what is wrong with the car before I go paying out on expensive repairs. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It is completely down on power and will not rev over 3000rpm. There is no kickdown at all and if I try to knock it down manually it just revs the hell out of the engine but sticks at 3000rpm. There is alot of black smoke out the back as well. It is extremely dangerous pulling off at the moment as it just crawls away from a standstill and trying to pull away on the motorway is a nightmare. Thanks.

Hi,
Welcome to this very useful forum. In order for someone to advise you of a local Independent (Indy) then you will have to tell us where you, and the car are located.

Your car is in a limp mode, possible cause is turbo relates. Either boost pressure leak or turbo actuator failure I assume. Check all hose turbo<--> inlet manifold... Codes will give a more accurate direction, star diagnosis in hands of expert. UK dealer sounds to be real ripper when talking about just reading the codes :confused:

Could be MAF sensor, has all the symptoms mine had when it went, but get the codes read to be sure.

UK dealer sounds to be real ripper when talking about just reading the codes :confused:

there's loads of rippers when it comes to diagnostics - some main "stealers" are the main culprits ripping off circa £100 I believe!! There are however some decent indies about who dont charge to hook you up to star - what you need is someone who is competent.

You mean clone stars...? I think original star device is based on IBM touch screen laptop. And yes, clones will work with other laptops too, Dell D630 and D620or Panasonic CF-30 has been worked ok. It has been installed oin other devices too, but often needs deeper insight about installation structure and laptop setup. 'Genuine' serial port is usually the key...

so I should rule out my HP system?!

You mean clone stars...? I think original star device is based on IBM touch screen laptop. And yes, clones will work with other laptops too, Dell D630 and D620or Panasonic CF-30 has been worked ok. It has been installed oin other devices too, but often needs deeper insight about installation structure and laptop setup. 'Genuine' serial port is usually the key...

It may work well with HP too, some chinese suppliers are having 'preinstalled' systems for other laptops too, ask them if they have HP support. Only thing is sure that if you need to use serial port adapters, more likely troubles in startup.

I'm new to the site so bear with me if I dont use it quite right to start off with! Does anybody know where I can take my 2005 E220cdi for an engine diagnostic check. Mercedes want way too much just to plug in a tool in my opinion. My financial situation is tight at the moment and need to find out what is wrong with the car before I go paying out on expensive repairs. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It is completely down on power and will not rev over 3000rpm. There is no kickdown at all and if I try to knock it down manually it just revs the hell out of the engine but sticks at 3000rpm. There is alot of black smoke out the back as well. It is extremely dangerous pulling off at the moment as it just crawls away from a standstill and trying to pull away on the motorway is a nightmare. Thanks.

Where are you fella?
Limp mode is caused by many things. My vito 110cdi was in it. Turns ought the turbo sensor was disconnected.
You need star diagnostics but if we don't know where you are....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom