Diagnostics Confusion - 2013 E350 BlueTec AMG Sport Estate W212 (Facelift) and iCarSoft MB V2.0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teflonso

Car
E350 Estate (W212 Facelift)
Please help, it's driving me nuts........

My treasured E350 is showing a few faults, including an EML light that won't go off, so after looking on here I bought the iCarSoft analyser. Plugged it in and then the fun started. Firstly, it gives me a list of maybe half a dozen different versions of my car (Wagon) to choose from, all in the format 212.NNN.

Sadly, my car doesn't have anything to identify it in this way. The closest thing is the sticker on the B-pliiar which identifies it as a W212 K chassis. Nothing on any documents I have, including service receipts and the original purchase invoice. I've trawled the internet for info but drawn a blank, can't even decode it from the VIN. I can figure out from the engine number that it's an OM642, but still can't tell if it's 252PS as per the September 2013 MB brochure or 265PS which is what I understood the facelift model to be.

So in the spirit of adventure I tried every one of the variations on the analyser and they all gave the same result. I got a whole host of low voltage error codes, going back to a pandemic induced very, very flat battery when the old girl was safely tucked up. In tthe end, I reset these. So far, so good.

But for the ECU diagnostic, every variant I tried gave me the module identity and serial number, but when I tried to look at fault codes it said no module is connected. So I've cheerfully cleared fault codes, since it's happy to (at least believe it can) do that, but still the EML stays on and I've no way to see any relevant codes.

I can see all sorts of great info, even the pressures of individual bolsters in the massage seats (love them!) but nothing that's vaguely useful in sorting my problem. I do wonder if I've somehow got a US version of the analyser (EBay purchase :rolleyes:) but aside from that option I'm stumped. So with that as an introduction can anyone tell me:
  1. How I get engine related error codes out of the blinkin' thing?
  2. How do I decode my chassis number into the correct version for the analyser?
  3. Is there a UK help line or e-mail technical advice contact (another internet blank I drew)?
  4. Has some less than honest seller palmed me off with a non-European version of the analyser?
  5. What if I update the analyser to latest firmware/software?
  6. Any other advice please, before I end up with a completely flat forehead, bashing it repeatedly against the desk in frustration?

Apologies for the rambling question, but as I said, it's driving me nuts.
Thanks, Ian

It's usually just from your VIN such as WDD 212 003 ......
Many thanks Smurf! WDD212 226 ............ :)

But....still no progress.

I've updated to latest software V11.40 to V11.60 and the iCarSoft program was happy with my serial number and U number, which suggests that I don't have a clone. Tried again with 222.226 and still the same result - it can tell me I have a Bosch EMU, complete with an MB number but when I look for faults it still says "Component Not Connected". I've tried it with no key, ignition at standby, ignition on, engine running - all the same results.

If I try to clear codes it tries to oblige and the EML light briefly flickers off then comes back.

Forehead getting even flatter and more bruised............. any ideas? Anyone?

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom