diagnostics on older mercs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vtechnician

Car
mercedes c230 w202
Hi people

I am from South Africa. We have a workshop specializing in Merc repairs.
I have used the star diagnosis on newer models w202,w210 etc. and fully understand how all this works.
I have only recently built an LED blink code reader for a w124 220E with a 111 motor (HFM-SFI).I tested this and it works great.

I have started with the later technology and am going backwards.LOL

On older mercs with the continuous injection system,I know that on/off ratio tests can be done from the diagnostic socket "X11" thanks to this forum.
My questions are:
1)On a w124 230E with a 102 motor,the X11 socket does not have a terminal for pin 3.Can on/off ratio tests be done on this vehicle? If yes,which pin do I use?
2)This w124 also has the X92 additional diagnostic socket but there are only 2 terminals in the socket pin1 and pin7.I know that pin 1 is ground and pin 7 is for air-conditioning.Can the blink tester be used to get codes for the air-conditioning system?

I have checked the following vehicles and they have Pin 3 in the X11 socket:
W126 300SE 103 Motor and W126 500SE 117 Motor.We repair alot of these older mercs and have been testing the components/wiring without the on/off ratio tests.

Thanks in advance.

Try the analogue systems connections detailed in this listing? http://www.mbslk.de/files/artikel/r170_fehlercodes.pdf

If you mean the duty cycle measurement try this. PeachPartsWiki: Mercedes-Benz Driveability

and this

http://www.mbelectronicupgrades.com/Tachometer Amp Diag Tool User Guide Rev A2.pdf

plus this quote from another thread:-

As for reading codes from the computer, well, I don't think that is possibe on the first generation 124s. The control system is pretty primitive. [ jetronik K??] The 87 has only an "Oxygen Sensor" warning lamp and while 88, 89 (at least) have a "check engine" lamp I think it does the same thing as on the 87. If the first generation 124s *do* have code reading capabilities I'd like to know about it.

If the injection system is a Jetronic K system then it doesn't have an EHA **[electronic hydraulic actuator that the KE has ] for modifying the mixture strength and as far as I know this is the "duty cycle" that most people refer to. The KE system was brought in to offer finer mixture control for lambda sensor catalytic converter equiped cars AFAIK therefore maybe not on some SA cars?

* * black plastic unit with electrical connections on the side of the fuel distributor body KE only

Thanks for the replies.
Great links:thumb:
The w124 230e has the EHA and there is no PIN 3 in the X11 diagnostic socket.
There is no lambda sensor on the exhaust system.

Thanks Grober, you are really trying to help.:thumb:
Altitude correction capsule and O2 sensor are non existent on the 230e w124.
Also the coolant temp sensor is a single pin on the above car.
I am trying to see if there is a way to do an on/off ratio test on this car.
I have CIS factory diagrams for the car as well.

I drive a Honda civic vtec and our S.A spec cars do not have O2 sensors as compared to the USA spec.
I'm guessing it has something to do with emmisions regulations differences between countries.

S.A spec w126 380 sec also doesn't have Pin 3 in the socket.
However,the w126 300SE and 500SE has pin 3 but there are no 02 sensors on any of these older cars.From the w202 c class upwards,there are 02 sensors.

My dad said that they used to do on/off ratio tests with a DMM5 when he was still a mac at Mercedes.
I like to DIY rather than buying equipment if there is the option to DIY.

Last edited:
Pin 17 on the ECU plug goes to the airflow sensor.
Going to read through some factory manuals tonight and see what I can find.
The factory manual indicates that an on/off ratio can be done on the M103 motor (w124/w126) via the X11 socket-pin3.This motor does not have a lambda sensor as well

Would like to do the on/off ratio test on the 230e as it would indicate if there are any faults.

I checked the WIS software as well.
found a table that indicates that on/off ratio cannot be done on the 102 982 std version.
However,I did do an on/off ratio test using a voltmeter on a M103 motor which has pin3 on the diagnostic socket.No lambda and air temp sensor.

Results of my test:
Battery voltage with engine running =13.50v
Normal - 2.808v = 79.2% Fault = short/open circuit between air temp sensor.
idle control valve unplugged - 2.772v = 79.46%
airflow sensor unplugged - 8.09v = 40.07% Fault = airflow sensor
water temp unplugged - 9.42v = 30.22% Fault = coolant temp sensor
throttle valve switch unplugged - 12.03v = 10.88% Fault = throttle valve switch

hi all Im new here. well I would like 2 know with HFMscanner is it possible to reset the system or not. could any one help.

[YOUTUBE]4vDwMf259Y8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]6F44YGt12Ik[/YOUTUBE]

another demo how to use this type of tool. unfortunately uses a different colour coding for the wires! :doh: In the demo because its not obvious where to get 12v on the diagnostic socket the operator gets this direct from the battery--- not so easy on a RHD car!
[YOUTUBE HD]sJv66OoAWNw&x-yt-cl=84924572&x-yt-ts=1422411861#t=41[/YOUTUBE HD]

thank you for this great help
he really did a great job in videos
but it is too expensive to me to ship the kit to here (KSA)
so i am still searching for the pdf which contains my car 230e 1889 m102 w124 what a rear car

my car 230e 1889 m102 w124 what a rear car
in this video the most excellent method of diagnosis through the duty cycle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5syKYwfEyCo

when i nave 190E with M102,
I stood in the cabin such Russian instrument (BK-06) he showed me on lambda regulation, errors, as well as the switch had to watch the management control of idling (useful to have if he sometimes stuck) ...
Picture did not survive to give someone else the video on this device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=16Z85nEqysk

I am considering buying Star c4 or c3 and I have two questions

What sort of info will I glean using Star on a 1997 w202. Does it do a good job reading or diagnosing issues on such an old car. Will it pick up say a problem with my speedo

Second apart from Star what other scantools work well on a w202

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom