Diagnostics tool enquiry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrLaz

Car
w211 E320 CDI 2006
Hello merc gurus, after some info on which diagnostics tool to get and hoping someone can point me in the right direction :) My first thought was to get a Icarsoft CR Max (spoken to their representative in the u s and a who confirmed it will work with my motor so that`s good) but then came across things like this: Auto Diagnostic Laptop Toughbook CF-19 TABLET PC with sd connect c4 mb software – Pro Auto Diagnostics . Could i please have your opinion about these?

Well I would go with the Icarsoft it will do most of the things that a DIY car owner will want,and when you need star indies charges are not that bad,paying £495 for a loaded toughbook,might be the way to go if you were maybe repairing cars,but as a MB owner the dedicated Icarsoft takes some beating.

Well I would go with the Icarsoft it will do most of the things that a DIY car owner will want,and when you need star indies charges are not that bad,paying £495 for a loaded toughbook,might be the way to go if you were maybe repairing cars,but as a MB owner the dedicated Icarsoft takes some beating.
Hi Zipdip :) many thanks for getting back to me! The thing is the Icarsoft CR Max is like £370 and C4 would be £480 hence my question. Have you or anyone used this CR Max yet? Also, can you use the MB diagnostic on any other car or strictly MB? Might sound a silly question but hey that`s why i`m here to get info from pros :D

Hello merc gurus, after some info on which diagnostics tool to get and hoping someone can point me in the right direction :) My first thought was to get a Icarsoft CR Max (spoken to their representative in the u s and a who confirmed it will work with my motor so that`s good) but then came across things like this: Auto Diagnostic Laptop Toughbook CF-19 TABLET PC with sd connect c4 mb software – Pro Auto Diagnostics . Could i please have your opinion about these?

Firstly, the two are not comparable. The iCarsoft CR is multi-car while the STAR clone is MB-only.

Then, chances are that the STAR clone is running pirated software.

So what you are actually looking at is an iCarsoft MB v2 for ~£125 vs a STAR clone for £479.

The STAR clone is obviously the better unit (if you don't mind the illegality), but costs nearly four times more.

Personally I have iCarsoft MB V2 and Carly for Mercedes and I am happy with both.

Last edited:
Hi Zipdip :) many thanks for getting back to me! The thing is the Icarsoft CR Max is like £370 and C4 would be £480 hence my question. Have you or anyone used this CR Max yet? Also, can you use the MB diagnostic on any other car or strictly MB? Might sound a silly question but hey that`s why i`m here to get info from pros :D
I have the MB iCarsoft CR Pro, and it can handle a whole range of different models, to a greater or lesser degree, but its primarily MB. So far its worked on Audi, Skoda, Peugeot, and Ford. For me, it does the job 100%. Costs around £250

Hi MrLazz, what makes you think you will be needing the CRMax or laptop on your 2006 E class ? By all means buy the one with the most functions but many will not pertain to your car . Buy a used MB icarsoft2 (£100 ?) and see how you get on . If it turns out not to be the one then sell it

I have a 2006 MB and I find my MB iCarsoft2 is fine for what I need. If you do go ahead with the toughbook please let us know how you get on :thumb:

See also:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi MrLazz, what makes you think you will be needing the CRMax or laptop on your 2006 E class ? By all means buy the one with the most functions but many will not pertain to your car . Buy a used MB icarsoft2 (£100 ?) and see how you get on . If it turns out not to be the one then sell it

I have a 2006 MB and I find my MB iCarsoft2 is fine for what I need. If you do go ahead with the toughbook please let us know how you get on :thumb:

I have iCarsoft MB V2 and Carly for Mercedes and I am happy wit
Hi Petrol Pete & Markjay & Justintyme and everyone! Many thanks for your thoughts! It`s not just for my old banger (mind you i truly love it) it would be used on other cars too. Every time i went to pick a car up i had to ask my friend to come with me and i just don`t want to hassle anybody from now on as these gadgets aren`t too expensive anymore. In the past i bought a OBDlink MX and well it wasn`t to my expectations :) Although on their website it says it can do it all it was far from the truth. I need something that could go into a little deeper because the gearbox is playing up a little, my girlfriends Volvo XC60 had EML popped up (needed regen) the other day so it would`ve been useful to have. I have now made my mind up and go for an Icarsoft. Guys again thanks for your input and if there is anything you`d like to add please don`t hesitate ;) You`re the best :)

See also:

oh very interesting videos :) Thanks for this Markjay!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom