Diagnostis Trouble Codes - HELP!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tflda29

Car
ML270 CDi 2002
Hello All,

Have been having trouble with gearbox going into limp home mode straight away and BAS, ESP, ABS and EPC lights on. I bought an Autoenginuity scanner with the enhanced Merceds package cleared all codes then read after short drive and got the following codes and wondered if anyone could help:-

ASR:-
C1101 RPM Sensor Fr
C1102 RPM Sensor Rl
C1103 RPM Sensor Rr
C1000 Control Module
C1140 Steering Angle Sensor N49
C1141 Brake Pressure Sensor B34 Plausibility

BAS:-
C1000 Control Module N48
C1025 CAN Signals ABS not available
C1203 BAS Read switch A7/7s1 Redundancy
C1207 Brake Light Swith S9/1 Plausibility (Replaced a few months back)

Electronic Gear selection:-
P1861 The left rear wheel RPM signal is implausible (No code before driving)

Enhanced Powertrain:-
2203 Torque reduction message from ABS/ESP - error
0500 Vehicle speed sensor - Invalid CAN Mesage

Transmission:-
2402 The right front wheel RPM signal is implausible
2401 The left rear wheel RPM signal is implausible (Not there before driving)

I am stuck as to what to do next and would rally appreciate some pointers in the right direction as to what all the above means and anything i can test or try to eliminate or identify the problem.
Sorry for such a long post.

thanks
Trevor

Update

All,

Just to update, I changed the rear left ABS sensor as a couple of codes pointed to that. Also i was getting no reading from the front right sensor at all and this turned out to be a loose connector. Once i cleared all the codes and reset the steering wheel and went for a drive all the lights went out and gearbox changed as normal.

The only codes remaining are the ASR and the BAS ones so not sure whats going n there. Think i may need a new battery as noticed that the voltage dropped to 9.3v on first crank after the car had sat a while and the red handbrake light would stay on. If left to run for a minute then switched off and started the voltage never dropped below 11.5v.

Over the moon as the BAS/esp/ecp/abs lights habe been on for ages now...

cheers
Trevor

it does look like the abs sensors front right, rear left, rear right and yes a dying battery can flag up messages like this because when you crank the engine it draws a lot of current which deprives other vehicle systems of power.

ASR:-
C1101 RPM Sensor Fr
C1102 RPM Sensor Rl
C1103 RPM Sensor Rr
C1000 Control Module
C1140 Steering Angle Sensor N49
C1141 Brake Pressure Sensor B34 Plausibility

BAS:-
C1000 Control Module N48
C1025 CAN Signals ABS not available
C1203 BAS Read switch A7/7s1 Redundancy
C1207 Brake Light Swith S9/1 Plausibility (Replaced a few months back)

Still got all of these ? What car have you ? Recent post there about c1000 fault BAs

Check codes again please and post

Hi thanks for replies....have cleared codes but still getting these ones up. Occasionally the yellow triangle on the dash flashes when going slowly and a grinding can be felt through the brake pedal. Not sure whats going on there as if its abs kicking in i thought the abs light would have come on to show a problem.....

Have you treid swopping the battery for a known good one? Modern cars need a stable and smooth supply of power to operate properly and a failing battery will not provide that and that in turn can provoke a lot of otherwise random faults and associated codes. I have had a similar scenario on a previous car with CAN bus electronics.

A STAR machine would diagnose the cause. I would find a local indy because at the moment you are playing a guessing game.

I wish you luck.

dokalj

Thanks guys. I have not tried a different battery yet but if this can give these problems then it may just be that as the diagnostic machine i have did show a lowish voltage during cranking...around 9.5v

I have a Mercedes enhanced diagnostic kit so trying to avoid paying for star as that was expensive enough with the idea being i would not hopefully need star....fingers cossed its just the battery.

thanks again
Trevor

So all ten faults are still there for sure ? even after a new sensor etc. Locate your BAS module and check for corrosion/ moisture in and around the unit. If you tell me your car type i may be able to tell you where it is . I dont think star machine will tell you anymore than what you have already. Certainly i would replace the battery though if its old and not seeming to hold voltage.

Hi Danny,

yes all 10 faults still there. It is a 2002 ML270 (w163). Would be good to know where module is as there seem to be a few.

thanks
Trevor

When I had a problem with my 2001 E220 CDi not starting MB were called out under the mobilo life warranty and while it was plugged into his star machine he was trying to start it with no starter motor activity his unit reported that the battery voltage had dropped below 10.5V and was too low! I guess that the starter had gone south and taken the battery out, anyway they replaced both and it has been OK since .......... famous last words. Strange but I did not have any warning lights come up on the dash.

Took you 13 posts to tell us what model of MERCEDES you have!:wallbash: Don't worry its a pretty common first time poster fault. We ain't psychic you know.;) On the battery thing-- change it /get a new one- modern Mercedes are so dependent on electronics its a no-brainer if you suspect it's more than 3 years old. You may find all your faults will disappear.

Hi All,

Yes apologies for not mentioning car model...:doh:...my bad....will update profile and see if i can add it there....

Ye battery id definitely over three years old so will change and see what happens.

Thanks
for all your help.

cheers
Trevor

I think BAS module is below the brake servo check for moisture / corrosion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom