diamond cut ML63 AMG alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

355spiderguy

Car
ML AMG, V8 GL cdi
hi all.

i have a set of the 20" diamond cut AMG alloys on my ML, and as per every set of these, the laquer around the centre cap has went milky with water ingress due to slight rubbing from the center cap :(

question is, as the rest of the wheels are in fantastic shape, can i do a localised repair, removing the laquer in the 'circle' where the 5 holes for the wheel nuts are, give it a slight rub, and the re-laquer that area without interfering with the rest of the wheel? or will it turn into a howler? :confused:

thanks for any help in advance.

If these are in warranty then take them back. I did a job similar to what you are thinking on an old Golf GTI wheel. Used a Dremel to grind down through the milky lacquer, polished with some wire wool and re-sprayed with lacquer. It was better than before, but not great, but after a bit of road grime it fooled the dealer who took it in part-ex!!

Worst case is you mess it up and send it off for professional refurb.

S

The milky bit is a corrosion and probably from the grit salt. Let the professional shop refurb it and get yourself a set of 18" ML AMG wheels for winter. Should be cheap if bought second hand from ebay. Same for GL if you want to protect those gorgeous 22's!

Diamond cut refurb wont last. Trust me, been there. AMG wheels come with a 2 year warranty from purchase, 3 if ordered with the car from new.

Diamond cut refurb wont last. Trust me,

I agree....no point faffing around spiderguy, even getting them replaced will result in a repeat performance a couple of years down the road.

I'm sure that you'll remember my experience and what became of my original 20"

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres/101766-21-amgs-summer-rubber.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom