Diamond Cut Wheel Refurbishment to Powder Coated with Pictures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
Wheels Refurbished locally recently.

They had the standard wheel rot in the middle after being Diamond Cut refurbed back in summer 2017.
Also some of the paint was flaking off and underneath did not look to be "keyed".
Been quite bad far more than a year now so the Diamond Cut refurbishment didn't last very long.
Sorry forgot "before" pictures but for anyone with Diamond Cut you will get the idea. ;)

Decided this time to go for Powder Coating to see if this would provide a better lasting solution.
£280 for 4 x 18" wheels against £400 for Diamond Cut so a bit of a saving.
We were getting 8 done and the cars are not "show" cars just daily drivers so saving £240 not to be sniffed at.

Quite pleased with the results, will see how they last.

20201118_154839.jpg

20201118_154604.jpg

Now paint the calipers ;)

I have exactly the same style diamond cut wheels, so unfortunately your ‘before’ pictures aren’t needed. My plan is to let them suffer further through the winter then get them done in the spring. Your powder coated wheels look good so I may well opt for that. They’re not as nice as lovely new diamond cuts, but if that finish lasts better then it makes sense.

Now paint the calipers ;)

You know I have never ever considered that.
They are only little diddy calipers on this car.
The shiny calipers are on the other car. :)

I was going to apply some new Mercedes logos to the covers at some point.

I have exactly the same style diamond cut wheels, so unfortunately your ‘before’ pictures aren’t needed. My plan is to let them suffer further through the winter then get them done in the spring. Your powder coated wheels look good so I may well opt for that. They’re not as nice as lovely new diamond cuts, but if that finish lasts better then it makes sense.

Exactly yes, Y thought sticking a picture up too would let me have a record of how well they last over time. If they still look ok in a couple of years I think that will be good.

I had a set of wheel powder coated, thought they were fantastic until I had to get a wheel off, the extra paint thickness on the centre hole stuck them tight onto the hub, had to beat the wheels off with a 2x4 and club hammer, then dremmel the holes and grease them when re-installing the 4 wheels!

Tidy wheels, but the brake discs look knackered.

They are not, car has sat with wheels off for a couple of weeks so some surface rust.
Discs and pads are 20k miles in and still healthy enough, no lip on disc, still above minimum size and pads too. ;)

They are not, car has sat with wheels off for a couple of weeks so some surface rust.
Discs and pads are 20k miles in and still healthy enough, no lip on disc, still above minimum size and pads too. ;)
It looks like bad pitting to me, but must be just the photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom