Diamond cut wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peakie

Car
C250 cdi 2014
Hi, I’ve a e220d 2018 with 20” alloys which are diamond cut, one of them has the start of “white worm” corrosion can this be sanded down/polished out then re-lacquered.? Cheers.

unfortunately that is the problem with diamond cut and it's a ongoing problem, the lacquer always fails then they need recut again, you would be better off getting them all refurbed/powder coated and then the problem goes away.

Hi, I’ve a e220d 2018 with 20” alloys which are diamond cut, one of them has the start of “white worm” corrosion can this be sanded down/polished out then re-lacquered.? Cheers.
Is this what you mean by "white worm"? If so, I have it on one wheel also (other 3 are like new - this one is too, except for the "worm")

IMG_20210208_091947.jpg

Is it possible to get this shiny diamond cut look with a powder coat? If so what's it called when speaking to the refurb company?

All powder coats I've seen are a more Matt silver so don't look very OEM

If you're going to keep the car for a few years get yourself a set of winter wheels and while your beautiful diamond cut 20" inch wheels are off get them refurbished and properly diamond cut again. Because you'll have two sets of wheels your tyres should last twice as long and because you'll only be using the diamond cut ones in spring and summer early autumn the finish should last for years. Don't get them powder coated as they tend to look shit.

The good thing with diamond cut is that after getting it redone, if like me you were really careful with the alloys, carefully ceramic coated the freshly refurbed wheel (after decon), used wheel wax to further protect and made sure the wheels were always regularly cleaned with Dodo born to be mild shampoo and clean microfibre only (after snow foam pre-wash), then after 1000-2000 miles and 5 months, you need to get them done again 👍 :D

Plus, if you only get one diamond cut, it will have a different face profile due to the cut when compared with the other three wheels that haven't been cut.
Then you have the consideration of whether the (usually) darker paint/powder coat on the new alloy is the same colour as the paint on the old alloy, although this point also applies to standard powder coat. It's all good laughs.

I didn't drive my refurbed alloys in winter due to lockdown lack of use (although there were still on the car clean and waxed in Nov and Dec) and I put my winter wheels on late over Christmas. Maybe that was my school boy error? I'm now seriously wishing I'd just got them powder coated as well as the winter alloys that I had powder coated. It's been a total waste of time and money getting them diamond cut.

HOWEVER, I think one factor on the longevity of the diamond cut is the profile of the wheel where the diamond cut is being performed. IF like in Slarti's picture you are only getting the very outer rim diamond cut, then the angles/corners between the silver/coloured powder coat, and the diamond 'cut' to remove it might be relatively blunt, and therefore when the clear powerd coat is applied, there might be less of a sharp edge to 'poke' though the clearcoat. I'm guessing this is the weak spot on diamond cut alloys (other than kurb smashes and stone chips that breach the clear coat obviously).

Is it possible to get this shiny diamond cut look with a powder coat? If so what's it called when speaking to the refurb company?

All powder coats I've seen are a more Matt silver so don't look very OEM

What do you think of this ?

20191016_145536.jpg

Sure more glitzy finishes , shadow chrome , etc .

You wonder why there's diamond cut at all .

I've just had mine refurbished with diamond lip as i can't find another colour that looks right ,single colour wheel's on a c63 just don't look right https://postimg.cc/qt0VWf19]
20210130-122454.jpg
[/url]

Odd one out ?

20210130-122454.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom