Did anyone notice ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kikkthecat

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 Viano 2.2 CDi Ambiente
Did anyone notice that today is St Georges Day or has it passed us all by ?

And if so why ? St Andrews day was voted a voluntary Bank Holiday in Scotland last year and the Welsh and Irish celebrate theirs so why not us ?

Last edited:
Having marched with 1200 scouts yesterday for about 3 hours, no it hadn't passed me by!

Personally, I find these displays of nationalism not to my liking whether they are English, Irish, Scotiish Welsh, Belgian, American or whatever.
Politicians like them as they are the forerunner of asking the population to do something daft.
If my history is correct, the UK was all originally Celtic but the most accessible areas (mainly England) were overrun by successive waves of tribes from the Nordic areas plus Picts, Angles, Saxons, Romans and Normans and probably many more. The English are therefore a mixed race which would make me ask what are we celebrating and why?

Last edited:
Watched my daugher take part in a brownies/guides/cubs/scouts etc parade yesterday, so nope, it hadn't passed my by.

There was a guy dressed up as St George (who was actually Turkish I think) wecoming people to Waterloo this morning!

Personally, I find these displays of nationalism not to my liking whether they are English, Irish, Scotiish Welsh, Belgian, American or whatever.
Politicians like them as they are the forerunner of asking the population to do something daft.
If my history is correct, the UK was all originally Celtic but the most accessible areas (mainly England) were overrun by successive waves of tribes from the Nordic areas plus Picts, Angles, Saxons, Romans and Normans and probably many more. The English are therefore a mixed race which would make me ask what are we celebrating and why?

Whilst I feel that excessive displays of nationalism can be a dangerous thing I feel that some pride in your nation is actually desirable. In England St George's Day is used primarily as a day when all of the Baden Powell movement young people renew their promises to serve God and the Queen. I would rather see thousands of young people pledging to try to be good Scouts and good people contributing something to this country rather than have the day "owned" by people like the National front.

Tis the Bards Birthday today The Big Willy Shakespeare

Oh and Happy St Georges Day!

Last edited:
Whilst I feel that excessive displays of nationalism can be a dangerous thing I feel that some pride in your nation is actually desirable. In England St George's Day is used primarily as a day when all of the Baden Powell movement young people renew their promises to serve God and the Queen. I would rather see thousands of young people pledging to try to be good Scouts and good people contributing something to this country rather than have the day "owned" by people like the National front.

Good point and I heartily condone the Scout movement and the excellent possibilities it offers for youngsters.

Passed me by completely.

My secretary has flags on her cupboards, two small flags on her monitor and a st george's hat! So I didn't miss it!
Les

Sorry to say it passed me by too :(

I am proud of my nationality and as some folks know we have a flag pole at the bottom of our garden so first thing this morning up went our National flag. :)

Regards
John

I am proud of my nationality and as some folks know we have a flag pole at the bottom of our garden so first thing this morning up went our National flag. :)

Regards
John

Which one???;)

The proper one i hope!.... Even the queen did not fly the Flag of St George.
Lots of St Georges day flags by me....... and the council!! Good one Tamworth!

Last edited:
The poper one i hope!.... Even the queen did not fly the Cross of St George.
Lots of St Geoges day flags by me....... and the council!! Good one Tamworth!
:) The flag of St George.

When we first had the flag pole I contacted the local council to see if we needed planning permission.

The answer I was given was that no planning permission is required for one flag pole, but you can only fly the National flag. I then asked the obvious question and am still awaiting an official answer.

I suppose the Union Jack is just that; a union of all the flags of the United Kingdom?

On the day of the GTG we fly a different flag :eek: :eek:

John

I found myself in church on Sunday morning (a rare occurence for me, but it was a christening), and following the sermon the entire congregation belted out the first verse of 'God Save the Queen' to commemorate St. George's Day. Good stuff!

My dads birthday yesterday ..... 60 :eek:

So, no , i never forget St Georges Day !!

what is saddening is that most people don't even realise that it is st george's day. i went to work with flags on my car and my england shirt on and got strange looks all day with people asking why i had flags on my car and my england top on, when i explained that it was st george's day a lot of people went decidedly red and mumbled that they had forgotten.:( :(

a very sad state of affairs:( :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom