Did Cicero actually say this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottishman2

Car
CLK AMG 55 Cab
I received an email today with the following footer..... I had to smile...

[FONT=&quot]"[FONT=&quot]The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance."[/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- Cicero , 55 BC [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]So, evidently we've learned nothing in the past 2,067 years.[/FONT]

The actual quote is:

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall."

but note sure if the difference between the two quotes was why the Roman empire actually fell, I reckon it was more to do with lack of the internet...

Far too many quotes or statistics floating around are padded or made up. To quote from Catullus "not all things in your inbox enlarge your mind".

AS Mick Jagger once said to me. "never name drop Bruce, it's just not clever"

abe-lincoln-meme.jpg

Far too many quotes or statistics floating around are padded or made up. To quote from Catullus "not all things in your inbox enlarge your mind".

According to my wife, they actually do. But then she has her own views as for the location of the male brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom