Did I do it right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Mirror Man

Car
W211 E270 CDI Elegance.Rover 75 Tourer
New to this "looking after the car" thing.

Did I do it right?
Washed it with Tesco Daisy.
Clay mitt with lots of water.
Machined with G3 Professional Scratch Remover.
Wash with Tesco Daisy.
Machine polish with Autoglym Super Resin Polish.
Finished with Autoglym High Gloss something (like water).

Is it okay that some of the last 2 got on the windows, tail lamps and headlamps?

Do you work for Tesco?

Hahahaha. No I don't work for Tesco, and other APC are available. But I was told it was the best stuff for removing all the old stuff that will have built up over the years.

Well in that case I would say you did nothing wrong. Prepare for a host of detailers replying telling you that you should have used only products, crafted from the crushed pubic hair of high mountain village girls, before being transported on the wings of mythical creatures across far reaching deserts to their workshop, where it will be made available to the few, for more than the value of a West London Family Town House with Double Garage and basement swimming pool with theater..

Well in that case I would say you did nothing wrong. Prepare for a host of detailers replying telling you that you should have used only products, crafted from the crushed pubic hair of high mountain village girls, before being transported on the wings of mythical creatures across far reaching deserts to their workshop, where it will be made available to the few, for more than the value of a West London Family Town House with Double Garage and basement swimming pool with theater..

I was offer some of that but turned it down because I thought they were just taking the p*ss. :wallbash:

I was offer some of that but turned it down because I thought they were just taking the p*ss. :wallbash:

Perish the thought. Some of these guys spend days decanting tins of Pledge into exotic looking bottles with ludicrous comedic names. The sillier the name the higher the price. It's a direct correlation between silly name and price. 'double barrel' named tubs, fetch outrageous prices.

Only last week a tub of 'High show shine gloss & glazed prepubescent virgins ejaculation fluid' sold for a six figure sum at Sothebys.

IMG_20170722_211441 (1024x768).jpg

Before
IMG_20170722_140252 (1024x768).jpg
After
IMG_20170722_211350 (1024x768).jpg

There was so much tree sap on the paint work when I bought the car 3 months ago that it felt like sandpaper. It is silky smooth now and I'm well pleased with the results, although the difference doesn't really come across on the photos.

Last edited:
The only thing I would say OP is that you don't really need APC to strip the car of any products as if you're polishing, which is obviously abrasive, it won't leave any products on the car. :)

Personally, I'd just stick with normal shampoo and wash, clay, wash, polish etc.

Car does look good though.

The big payoff.....but what about the interior?

The big payoff is that the car will look great for at least six months, and will be much easier to wash / maintain. It's not just about the day after.

But the obvious question is what did you do to the interior? The interior of a car and the engine compartment can be cleaned and tidied to look like new, but so many people just don't bother.

I generally give the interior a quick clean; usually it's removing the crumbs from my wife eating something in the car, shake the mats out etc.

I also tend to give the engine bay a quick wipe-over; spray the plastic, wipe off any serious muck, and that's about it.

Perish the thought. Some of these guys spend days decanting tins of Pledge into exotic looking bottles with ludicrous comedic names. The sillier the name the higher the price. It's a direct correlation between silly name and price. 'double barrel' named tubs, fetch outrageous prices.

Only last week a tub of 'High show shine gloss & glazed prepubescent virgins ejaculation fluid' sold for a six figure sum at Sothebys.

That was the funniest thing posted in the Detailing in years and so true as well :D:thumb:

The big payoff is that the car will look great for at least six months, and will be much easier to wash / maintain. It's not just about the day after.

But the obvious question is what did you do to the interior? The interior of a car and the engine compartment can be cleaned and tidied to look like new, but so many people just don't bother.

Far point well made: I cleaned the inside a week or so before. I even used G3 and Autoglym Super Resin Polish on the walnut buts. I havent touched the engine bay yet. I have to get the car 100% in mechanical health first.

Hi,
In answer to "what colour is it ? " from your data card info :-

Paint code 1: 353U TEALLITE BLUE -METALLIC

.........and there is no substitute for "Elbow Grease " for polishing a car .

Last edited:
Elbow grease? Before or after the wash; surely a good shampoo would take the grease off?

Is it just to make the wax a bit softer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom