Did I make a mistake ordering like for like Continentals for first W204 tyre change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got about 24k out of the same size contis on the rear of my c220 but most of my milage is on motorways. Mercedes Ashford quoted me £430 for replacements, had them done at local tyre place for £370.

I hate Continentals, over priced junk.

Great for the first few thousand miles and few months and then get hard and crashy and noisy.

I had them on my E350 and the cabin noise was horrific, swapped from some Dunlop Sport Maxx and the comfort and cabin noise was transformed.

My last set on the A6 were at 7mm, but 2 years old when I bought the car and again they were crashy and hard, swapped for Michelin Pilot Sport 2s and silence once more.
When we took the contis off there were cracks in between the treads, Continental up lifted them and their report came back saying 'Unfortunately there is nothing we can do as the tyres had been left outside in the sun.'
Er yeah, I tend to leave them on the car when I am not driving it, saves time taking them off and putting them back on again every time I want to use the car.

I did lots of searching and so many reports of people saying the same thing.

Much better out there imho.

I use Michelin primacy 3 and been happy with them. Wouldn't mind trying something else if they are quiet but never been brave enough as once done your stuck with them till the next set

Dunlop Sport Maxx are quieter than the the Primacys, which are already pretty quiet.

I hate Continentals, over priced junk.

Great for the first few thousand miles and few months and then get hard and crashy and noisy.

I had them on my E350 and the cabin noise was horrific, swapped from some Dunlop Sport Maxx and the comfort and cabin noise was transformed.

My last set on the A6 were at 7mm, but 2 years old when I bought the car and again they were crashy and hard, swapped for Michelin Pilot Sport 2s and silence once more.
When we took the contis off there were cracks in between the treads, Continental up lifted them and their report came back saying 'Unfortunately there is nothing we can do as the tyres had been left outside in the sun.'
Er yeah, I tend to leave them on the car when I am not driving it, saves time
taking them off and putting them back on again every time I want to use the car.

I did lots of searching and so many reports of people saying the same thing.

Much better out there imho.

Now you wouldn't want to upset the many people on here who use Contis would you? They are certainly not junk for starters always there or thereabouts in tests. I have had them now for over 5 years on a c class then an e class and like a lot of people I' m sure I think they are just fine . Rather like the seats in the e class posts you are a bit too dogmatic in my view!

I'm due as well just over 17k and on 3mm rears, I'm more worried the fitters will damage the rims on my pristine diamond cut alloys

Now you wouldn't want to upset the many people on here who use Contis would you? They are certainly not junk for starters always there or thereabouts in tests. I have had them now for over 5 years on a c class then an e class and like a lot of people I' m sure I think they are just fine . Rather like the seats in the e class posts you are a bit too dogmatic in my view!

I do around 40k miles a year on one car and 20k miles a year on another, and so tend to replace tyres every 6 months or so, so I get to try loads out, and I do think they are over priced and over rated. When you swap from Contis to other brands and the improvements are tenfold in just about every area it changes your opinion of them, of course it does.

If I had not had the opportunity to try as many different brands as I have I would probably be more than happy with them, but I don't know many people who have gone from a decent Michelin to a Continental and been impressed.

Just this week I have tried the new Goodyear Efficient grip tyre, now that is impressive, I was told if I liked the comfort and quietness of the Dunlop Sport Maxx then I should try the Goodyear as they are on another level, and he was right, I have never been so impressed with a tyre, it does exactly what it says on the tin, comfortable and extremely quiet.

Just compare the specs on the Goodyear vs the Conti...

Continental Tyres / SUV 4x4 / Continental Conti4x4Contact Continental Conti 4x4 Contact - 235/55 R19 105H XL FR TL Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: C NoiseClass: 3 Noise: 73dB SUV Tyres - 4x4 Tyres - All Terrain Tyres - Off Road Tyres - 19" R19" - 235/55/19, 2

PRODUCT Conti4x4Contact_Continental (Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: C NoiseClass: 3 Noise: 73dB)

Goodyear Tyres / SUV 4x4 / Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV - 235/55 R19 105V XL TL Fuel Eff.: B Wet Grip: E NoiseClass: 1 Noise: 68dB SUV Tyres - 4x4 Tyres - All Terrain Tyres - Off Road Tyres - 19" R19" - 235/55/19, 235/55R19

PRODUCT Goodyeat EffcientGrip (Fuel Eff.: B Wet Grip: E NoiseClass: 1 Noise: 68dB)

Noise Class 1 vs 3 makes a huge difference.
73db vs 68db is an amazing difference, 6db is classed as twice as loud in volume terms.

I have had a few different Continetals over the last few years, Wintersport, Sportcontact 3 and 5 and the 4x4contact and every one of them has been a real let down, noisy, hard and not what I expect from a premium tyre.

The noise from the Sportcontacts on the E350 estate was terrible, even the dealer was gobsmacked at the difference with the Continentals and then with the Dunlops, it was not subtle.

As I said above, I really don't rate them at all.

I agree with gizze about the noise that Conti SC5 and 3 make. I found them quite economical, about £105 for the fronts and £135 for the rears fitted. I'm on target for 23k miles for mine, though I've found that the front tyres wear a lot on the outside which I think is due to MB's geo settings.

I will try Michelin PS3 or perhaps PSS next. PSS are the successor to PS2 with better longevity apparently.

If you decide to buy Michelins, try to make the change coincide with their promotions, as I got a £70 fuel card for 4 Michelins for my other car a week ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom