Did I make a mistake ordering like for like Continentals for first W204 tyre change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alistairgd

Car
C180 AMG Sport Plus
My W204 C180 has just turned 19,000 miles and is 2 years old next month. The rear tyres conti 255 35 18" are on the limit and I'm getting them replaced on Monday at its B1 service.

MB have quoted £375 for like for like replacement fitted.

Now I'm thinking if I should have considered a different tyre with a harder compound, as 19k out of a tyre is not very much at all.

Interested to hear from other C180 owner and what they did with their first tyre change...?

Lovetyres have the Continental sport contact 5 for 137.75 each. Personally I like the continentals.

Replacement at that mileage seems reasonable, however the price seems a bit steep.

Reasonable mileage - I'm running the same tyres on my E220 and they are at 21k and on the cusp of needing changed.

Remember that a harder compound might give longer life but less grip.

Shop around - save money.

Replacement at that mileage seems reasonable, however the price seems a bit steep.

I got a price from my local tyre fitter and they were I think about £17 cheaper, but for the convenience of getting the service plus the tyres done one-stop at the dealer MB can get the business.

What I'm miffed about now is that if I return the car at 4 years old as planned, I might have to end up putting a new set of rears on it just before handover! That would be painful.

I like Contis as well.

19k miles sounds OK to me.

What I'm miffed about now is that if I return the car at 4 years old as planned, I might have to end up putting a new set of rears on it just before handover! That would be painful.

Trade it at 42 months :thumb:

I got a quote from Mercedes for the same tyres for £316 for both rears fitted. Mine are almost on the markers after 30k and over 3 years so happy with the longevity of the Continentals.

I got a quote from Mercedes for the same tyres for £316 for both rears fitted. Mine are almost on the markers after 30k and over 3 years so happy with the longevity of the Continentals.

Good price, I'll put the extra life down to the different body, still a BIG difference though.

Conti sport contact 5

Had a service at Watford mb two weeks ago, I was quoted £595 for rears!!! Same size, obviously shopped around, found f1 autocentre having them at £148 each fitted, no guesses as to where my money went!!!

I had an email from my local dealer stating that they'll match tyre prices

I always use Contis on both our E-Class.
I tend to get around 25,000 miles from a new tyre ... But then I don't drive it like crazy.
It just works hard ... Every day.
The MB dealer's price is a bit of a sting.
You can do better than that

Tyre life is one of those things that can't really be compared.

Among the factors that affect tyre life are:

Make and model (soft/hard compoud, thread pattern)

Inflation pressure - even when correctly inflated, there's a big difference between the manufacturer's low and high values

Type of surface driven on

Type of car and engine power

Type of driving - not necessarily relating to sports driving, but there will be a difference in tyre wear when driving in town or on motorways etc

Comparison only makes sense when two sets of different tyres are run on the same car by the same driver on the same roads.....

Another vote for Contis.

We've been running on Conti's for years (Saabs and MBs) and like them enough to continue with them.
Shame you don't need more than two because KwikFit do great deals on batches. They also do free mobile fitting on two or more tyres which is convenient.

Have stuck with the factory Contis on the Vito for 7 years now as very happy with the combination of handling/grip/wear etc. Superb resistance to aquaplaning too ... have hit standing water at motorway speed without any problem at all. But as stated you always need to shop around, Event Tyres were cheapest this time (including mobile fitting).

Done a quick chek on my Contis....

They so far averaged 2,700 miles per 1mm.

So based on 8mm thread when new and 1.6mm min thread, they would have lasted 17k.

I say 'would have' because in reality I will replace them at around 3mm or earlier.

This is for my Car W203 C180K, and my driving etc.

Last edited:
I always use Contis on both our E-Class.
I tend to get around 25,000 miles from a new tyre ... But then I don't drive it like crazy.
It just works hard ... Every day.
The MB dealer's price is a bit of a sting.
You can do better than that

I use Michelin primacy 3 and been happy with them. Wouldn't mind trying something else if they are quiet but never been brave enough as once done your stuck with them till the next set

Michelin for me had PS2, PSS on previous cars, gone for PS3 on my car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom