Did I make a mistake ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
sounds like the DPF is the engine killer for these diesels.wouldn't like to buy a car with one ..and what happens when engine starts burning abit if oil.

Isn’t the DPF classed as a consumable item. I read somewhere that at 70k Volvo will change the filter at great expense. Land Rover new model are plagued with the DPF issues and the dilution of the oil is an day to day occurrence.

We don't know that the issue is a clogged DPF, I.e. it might be a faulty sensor etc, but even so an Approved Used car should not be sold with a consumable item that has reached (say) 95% wear.... same as they shouldn't sell you a car with 1mm left on the pads, or 1.7mm on the tyres, etc etc, even if these are 'wear' items.

sounds like the DPF is the engine killer for these diesels.wouldn't like to buy a car with one ..and what happens when engine starts burning abit if oil.

It varies... back in 2013 the wife fell in love with a Kia Soul II she saw at the dealer's. Problem was it was a Diesel and she only does 1,000 miles a year (school run and shops etc). So I spoke to Kia tech support and they said that while Diesels do need to be driven on longer journeys for the DPF to regenerate, "we don't really see any DPF issues on these cars". A Kia forum also advised using premium fuels on low-mileage cars, apparently they burn cleaner. So we did that. 6 years later the car has covered 7,000 miles under our ownership, and never missed a bit, DPF or otherwise.

(I did drove it to Paris and back though.... once, in 2016).

So yes, DPF on modern Diesel cars is a pain, but some marques (MB included) seem more prone to DPF problems than others.

Reactions: 219

I wouldn't say so. Usually reason is somewhere else, if sensor problems excluded. Like if engine is burning oil - it is not solid any more and needs repair.

You could say same at EGR. THAT is something that kills you intake manifold because there is no way clean up that s**** which goes inside as a recycled 'air'. If car lifespan is designed to 5 years, none of these are problems. We poor ba*****s in Finland have AVERAGE age of cars almost 13 years now. I have not seen huge amount of DPF clogging problems in our forum, sensors are very prone to fail, true. Might be reason that we also have longer average driving distances... and perhaps our diesel fuel is better for DPF due to heavy incredients in winter time, dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom