Did mercedes do a glass sunroof for a w124?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
This sunroof is glass, yes? Would that be original factory fit?

Yes, my Hammer w124 has one !

MB did them fro w126' as well !

The one in that auction is identical to an MB sunroof, so looks authentic.

Not sure what it would cost toship....the structure is literally the size of the entire ceiling of the car !

cheers
t

Cheers Talbir. Not worried about shipping costs.

Would this fit my coupe (despite the ad saying its for/from an estate? I assume the winding gear is different but the actual frame et al is identical. Is this a false premise by me??

cheers

That looks very large for an MB sunroof, is it not for a 124 estate?

(it also says 'T' in the description)

Will

Will

I know it says its from an estate; hence me asking are they possible to fit into other w124's?

the sunroof structure/frame is large, it usually takes up the entire roof of the car, except on the estate, it would not extend all the way to the back, it'd be the same size as saloon.

I'm not sure if sunroofs are common between estate and saloon, i think they are different between coupe and saloon/estate.

The saloon and estate items i would expect to be identical.

talbir

I'm not sure if sunroofs are common between estate and saloon, i think they are different between coupe and saloon/estate.

The saloon and estate items i would expect to be identical.

talbir

Hm:mad: . I can see a trip to the dealer to ask about this. If it would fit in the coupe that would be dandy. otherwise I might buy it for Natalies estate.

Hi Matt,

Do both your estate and coupe have sunroofs?

Can't you check to see the size on each? :)

I'm probably wrong here, but I thought the estate ones were longer, certainly the one on my 124 estate is massive!

Will

I could Will but its dark, I'm in my dressing gown and slippers (how Rock and Roll) and I think Natalie would geld me if I said I'm going outside in winter in the dark to measure sunroofs!

Not now silly! :)

Wait till the weekend or something ;)

Will

if the glass is the same size as the tin roof would it be easyer to swap the two parts rather that the full unit if it fits the coupe or est

Well the sunroofs are different sizes. Bang goes that plan.

Well the sunroofs are different sizes. Bang goes that plan.

I did say I though they were!

Could put it in Natalie's estate? :)

Will

if the glass is the same size as the tin roof would it be easyer to swap the two parts rather that the full unit if it fits the coupe or est

That's a better plan, but i think the swap will only work between estate and saloon, coupes must be different as they have smaller roofs due to angle of windscreens.

Removing the entire piece is a hairy move....remove all headliner, remove all bolts/conenctions then getting the piece in and out of the car is the next challenge !

Defo just replace the opening section if possible...perhaps even get the sender to send just that bit to save on shipping too.

talbir

would it not be possible to have a piece of reinforced glass made to create a new sunroof

Im not sure just replacing the opener would work... Im sure with glass sunroof the whole track is different as its going to be much thicker...

Let me tell you from experience, once you start to dismantle a Mb sunroof, its never easy to get it working properly again... everything has to be aligned and its extremely fiddly..

i would replace the whole casette to ensure it works first time..

are they different? they look the same between my 1994 estate and my 1995 saloon.

However i've never actually got a tape measure out....

A glass sunroof would be good - let some light in.

are they different? they look the same between my 1994 estate and my 1995 saloon.

I was refering to my coupe and the estate being different sizes. Probably are the same on estate and saloon.

Will, I did consider it for Natalies estate but as her's does not work anyway (someone else has already played with it and messed up the motor I dont know whether we will bother).

I might play with it in summer when the weatehr is good and the days are long as everything I have read about this job makes it sound an absolutel pig! I may do the trim stripping and then take to an expert (anyone know one in Birmingham they can recommend??) to fix....we shall see

I was refering to my coupe and the estate being different sizes. Probably are the same on estate and saloon.

Will, I did consider it for Natalies estate but as her's does not work anyway (someone else has already played with it and messed up the motor I dont know whether we will bother).

I might play with it in summer when the weatehr is good and the days are long as everything I have read about this job makes it sound an absolutel pig! I may do the trim stripping and then take to an expert (anyone know one in Birmingham they can recommend??) to fix....we shall see

Of course there are many reasons for sunroof not working, but most common is the cable worn, in which case motor just whirs. Cable replacement is very straightforward, from the motor itself, just winds up and through.

talbir

Natalies whirls, makes horrid noises and no action-half the motor exterior is missing. Manual winding does nothing (clearly something internally has stripped?) or is it the cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom