Did we land on the moon? Ch5 Tonight 8pm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I well remember the first Moon landing, and have been sceptical of conspiracy theories, however some things tonight appear and I stress appear to show certain anomolies. But and it's a big but the programme didn't have enough scientific rigour for me.

However we now have the Hubble telescope so can it take detailed shots of the landing areas, I presume it would have enough resolution to provide creditable evidence, or is Hubble controlled by NASA/CIA/ anyone else with iffy credibility.

The nature of conspiracy theories is such that they withstand any criticism.

A photo showing the landing gear will simply bring about the claim that the US sent unmanned spacecraft to the moon.

Or better still, that the photos are fake...

It is pointless arguing with die-hard conspiracy theorists as no amount of evidence will convince them they are wrong.

It's laughable that people doubt the moon landings. The technology was already proven when the Nazis fled there at the end of the war.

Wow I never believed those conspiracy loons, but it seems to be true...people actually do watch Channel 5 and take it seriously...

An astronaut interviewed for Science Report at the beginning of April 1977 let slip that the later Apollo missions were 'just a smokescreen' and that it distracted the public from asking more questions about what was really going on at the time.

Science Report Alternative 3 nederlands - YouTube

Around 29:00 on for the interview.

That's funny, the “astronaut” sounds remarkably like Scott Tracy from Thunderbirds :D

You did notice the release date on that 'documentary', didn't you? :wallbash:

Well I watched it and I am still not convinced either way. I was too young to witness the 'moon landings' but I do remember growing up in the early seventies and the technology that was around at the time, for example switching on a tv 2hrs before you wanted to watch something, yet NASA could beam pictures back from the surface of the moon? Also why did the moon missions stop in the early seventies? The technology and knowledge available since the 70's would, in my opinion , make a moon landing easier now than ever before surely?

Cook, Magellan, and even Kon Tiki all managed without GPS and mobile phones.

It is only after we get used to the abundance of technology around us that we start questing how people living in earlier times were able to achieve what they did, and from here the leap into a conspiracy theory is quite short.

The moon missions stopped because they were incredibly expensive and were politically driven. Cold war politics of the 50's and 60's dictated the development of rocketry to produce vehicles capable of delivering nuclear weapons globally. When the Russians put their first Sputnik satellite into space it had huge political repercussions in the USA because they thought the Soviets were about to gain a huge military advantage. Cue the pouring of billions of tax dollars into space technology and the space race had begun. Then the Russians put a man in orbit so the Americans did the same and so on. This technological sabre rattling would go on with Kennedy promising to put an American on the moon within a decade. He made a famous speech about it at Rice Stadium. It gives a very good impression of the prevailing mood of the American nation at the time and I urge you to read it- its not long. Its why they went. JFK RICE MOON SPEECH

" We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

It is for these reasons that I regard the decision last year to shift our efforts in space from low to high gear as among the most important decisions that will be made during my incumbency in the office of the Presidency. "

Last edited:
Cook, Magellan, and even Kon Tiki all managed without GPS and mobile phones.

It is only after we get used to the abundance of technology around us that we start questing how people living in earlier times were able to achieve what they did, and from here the leap into a conspiracy theory is quite short.

Exactly- plus the fact that it's no longer being done today makes it harder to come to terms with.

The huge cost of the Apollo programme was mainly justified politically in a race with the USSR (of course there were military aspects, but much less so for the lunar programme than for earth-orbital developments). ###edit- I got distracted while typing this post and it apparently took me 20 mins, so didn't see that grober had made this point in the meantime###

If anything, I'm more surprised that they carried on for so long after the first success when the USSR were unable to follow suit.

BTW, TVs warmed up and were fully operational in a matter of seconds in the early 70s- if only modern-computers could match that feat! I remember we even had a remote- apparently not IR but acoustic, because whenever anyone sneezed, it changed channel.

Last edited:
When one considers Hillary et al. climbed Everest in woolie jumpers and tweed jackets and now we (apparently) need super hi-tech thermals just to go down the shops on a chilly Sunday afternoon I think says volumes about "perceived difficulty" Ol' Hillary just pulled his bobble hat down a bit tighter and set off.

Health and Safety culture, along with the litigation society has a lot to answer for!

Some one here (or maybe over the other side) has a tag line that goes :-
"Once we taught our children to be warriors, now we teach them to be worriers"

So true, so true....

When one considers Hillary et al. climbed Everest in woolie jumpers and tweed jackets and now we (apparently) need super hi-tech thermals just to go down the shops on a chilly Sunday afternoon I think says volumes about "perceived difficulty" Ol' Hillary just pulled his bobble hat down a bit tighter and set off.

Health and Safety culture, along with the litigation society has a lot to answer for!

Some one here (or maybe over the other side) has a tag line that goes :-
"Once we taught our children to be warriors, now we teach them to be worriers"

So true, so true....

Whilst I have some sympathy with your views on the risk averse culture (which is one of the things robbing our children of childhood) I bet Hillary would not have spurned "hi-tech thermals" if they had been available.

It is not the technology that is at fault,it is the way it is used. None of us would go back to shoe brakes or rotor arms (except for ease of too frequent maintenance)

Not sure we need to teach our children to be warriors in the proper sense, we could do with teaching them that the world does not owe them a living and anything worth having has to be worked for (and is all the sweeter for the effort)

Apologies- perhaps you had one of those new-fangled COLOUR TVs ;)

Yes two colours, black and white :D

It is not the technology that is at fault,it is the way it is used. None of us would go back to shoe brakes or rotor arms

Which is my whole point exactly . This was at the time of brake shoes and rotor arms, you couldnt phone out of the UK in the early seventies without booking a line 2 weeks in advance yet men walked on the nevada desert, sorry i mean lunar surface.

Last edited:
Whilst I have some sympathy with your views on the risk averse culture (which is one of the things robbing our children of childhood) I bet Hillary would not have spurned "hi-tech thermals" if they had been available.

It is not the technology that is at fault,it is the way it is used. None of us would go back to shoe brakes or rotor arms (except for ease of too frequent maintenance)

Not sure we need to teach our children to be warriors in the proper sense, we could do with teaching them that the world does not owe them a living and anything worth having has to be worked for (and is all the sweeter for the effort)

I bet Hillary would have jumped at the offer!

My point though is more to do with how, looking back at the 60's, we question if it were possible at all to do XYZ because with our current level of technology it would be so difficult/risky/expensive. Sometimes all that is needed is the will, the desire, to accomplish a task.

Probably the inclusion of all the 'high' tech stuff has increased the financial costs to an unacceptable level for today's priorities? No political will, no perceived kudos. There has to be a financial benefit from any such undertaking these days. Gone are the days of doing something simply for the challenge....

Which is my whole point exactly . This was at the time of brake shoes and rotor arms, you couldnt phone out of the UK in the early seventies without booking a line 2 weeks in advance yet me walked on the nevada desert, sorry i mean lunar surface.

Not quite sure where you were in the early 70's but we called the Continent and USA quite often on an ad hoc basis. Mind you we did have to speak very quickly!! :D

That's what you get when a country devotes vast amount of resources to a single goal.

In the former USSR many people went cold and hungry, driving some old Fiat knock-off (if they were lucky), yet their country produced some of the finest weaponry of the post-war era.

When one considers Hillary et al. climbed Everest

Oh no they didn't. The pics. were taken in a disused warehouse in Wapping.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom