Did we made wrong choice..?? BMW 5 series or Audi A6 better than W213..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercA

Car
Merc
I love to hear "No"!!

I had to make the same choice and went for a S213.

The A6 is about to be replaced (I've had many and they are good cars) right back even when they were called Audi 100's; the 5 series estate is also about to be replaced so it was a no brainer for me.

However I have had to make this same choice many times and have always gone Audi, however in my opinion the E Class this time around is just a superior car all round.

Even if the others were just out of the stable the same as the E Class I think I would have gone for the E Class.

I think the look of the E Class Estate surpasses any other estate at present as well. Its amazing in the 6 weeks I've had it how many people have commented on it.

Attachments

• S213.jpg
    S213.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 109
Our Audi left Germany today, so we're going from E Class (although the 212) to S6, I'll post my thoughts once it's here.

It's all a matter of taste and budget, right?

dd

Yes...but Budget not much difference...then its down to style & technology. Style choice again vary from person to person but one factor will not change what all technologies offered in the car..

I liked BMW 5 series items like the Keys ie Key is more than just a car key!! Remote parking and most of Mercedes me functions on the key. Also 360 degree camera can get view from any angle in your mobile!!!

I heard one of these models got TV antenna as well as builtin dashcam etc...

Last edited:
From your other thread, it seems you've not got off to the best start with your E-class. I'd say both BMW 5-Series and Audi A6 are very comparable. Wrong choice? Hard to say as it depends on what your wants and expectations are.

FWIW, I'm very pleased with our C250d, have not had the issues that you have had with Mercedes Me, cruise control etc. So far things just work as they should, it drives very well, is comfortable and well appointed. I would not swap for the equivalent BMW or Audi.

Not sure there's a wrong choice in this sector, they're all excellent cars. It comes down to personal preference and whether you encounter issues with your particular car.

Actually one thing I would say is that Audi drivers seem to be taking the crown for most selfish road users, FWTW!

Looks wise the Merc has it all.... driving dynamics you cannot fault BMW. Not driven the latest 5 but it's apparently the best yet. The Audi in Bitdi guise is great but just not at the same level as the other two.

I say you did well! (And I'm an F11 535d owner!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From a character point of view, the Mercedes is the weakest of the 3. Outside of a full AMG they are pretty soulless IMO compared to many other brands.

In my case it was that the Audi equivalent felt like you were at on it rather than in it (A5 S-Line convertible) and the BMW was extortionate pricing wise (6 series Convertible). So character was the compromise I went for (as the Saab 9-3 convertible was out of production in 2011).

Every car is going to have some compromise against the others and it depends on which one is important to you. Only you can decide.

None are a bad decision, all are reliable etc.

I don't get in modern BM's and Audis very often but when I do I find the ride pretty harsh.

I remember being driven around in the back of a LWB 7 Series a few years ago and the ride was awful for what supposed to be a luxo barge.

Test drove a BINI last year and got about 100 yards before realising it was not for me.

On the other hand had an S Class taxi ride in Greece last August and it had THE best ride I've ever encountered.

I've always associated MB's with a cosseting ride and more emphasis on general waftiness for the passengers and driver alike.

I don't get in modern BM's and Audis very often but when I do I find the ride pretty harsh.

A few years ago I did the same with Audi, the ride was appalling, so appalling Audi addressed it as it was seriously compromising their UK sales. I found a similar problem with BMW. We bought MB on the ride quality at the time.

Fast forward to last year and we test drove an S6 Avant which rides better than our existing E Class, mainly as this particular model comes with air suspension as standard. The test car we had was also running 20" rims, so the ride was astonishingly good considering.

We ordered with the standard 19" rims which should be better again.

I like the interior of the new E but the exterior left me cold, although the estate looks way better than the saloon. I guess I just fancied a change as well. Ultimately though it was the ability to customise the Audi in a way that MB simply don't offer that drew me to them.

Plus I was a little disappointed with the finish of the SL having paid a very large premium for paint which just wasn't applied particularly well.

Last edited:
Not sure there's a wrong choice in this sector, they're all excellent cars. It comes down to personal preference and whether you encounter issues with your particular car.

Absolutely right;)

I've had them all and you will not go wrong with any of them.
I did migrate to a Range Rover for a year after we got rid of my wife's ML, but expensive warning lights that seemed a regular occourence made me bail after just one year.
I rather enjoy the 900mile range of my current Audi A6 Ultra Avant but fully understand why others will enjoy a BMW 5 series or the new E class.
It's just great we have such a wonderful choice....and that's before we look at the options list:devil:

Absolutely right;)

I rather enjoy the 900mile range of my current Audi A6 Ultra Avant

900????? Are you a monk??? Think 600 was our best.... We had one and it was (apologies) a huge disappointment. Stupid moment when I let the wife pick, wrong wheel drive, seat didn't go down far enough, awful hifi. Beautiful looking car but just wrong. Did order a Bitdi black edition to address the issues but cancelled it at the last moment. Would love an RS6 though[emoji106]...... trying to be good though and pay for an orangery!! [emoji25]

Would love an RS6 though

I looked at them and just didn't like them. It was too much for me (in your face pumped up wheel arches) and really wasn't entirely comfortable to drive normally (it was straining at the lease all the time and the ride was just too compromised), hence we went the S6 route.

All round the S6 is probably a better car. By better I mean easier and more comfortable to live with on a daily basis and yet still very fast, not better as per Nurburgring lap times. This is designed to be a daily driver for us, but we also have another (fun) car (which may become cars).

Interestingly the RS6 Avant outsells the S6 Avant approximately 10-1. Better? I don't think so. Different is probably a better description.

That said if you want a single car to fulfill as many aspects of motoring as possible all rolled up into one then the RS6 or AMG63 models are hard to ignore.

Last edited:
No an XC90 or new Disco will be the family car (or GLS) if I get my way, no I want something fun for me for the weekly airport run, but I'm currently thinking remapped 335d with a 316d badge on it!!

Last edited:
No, I'm a motorsport engineer. I do fast for a living. On the road I do efficient;)
You'd be surprised how useful that comes in for winning races:cool:

Actually one thing I would say is that Audi drivers seem to be taking the crown for most selfish road users, FWTW!

Only cos you is in a Skoda...

From my regular motorway runs I can say with total confidence that I am rarely held up by an Audi, Benzes never cause me any issues at all but lease special low spec BMWs are by far the sodding worst. Always a 1 series with a small diesel, generally white, and hogging lane 3 without any sign of pulling in. I wouldn't mind it if they were flat out, but invariably they are running just below 70mph, never overtake safely, and never pull in.

The problem with Audis (which Alan has suggested may no longer be the case - although I'll believe it is permanent if I try a conventionally sprung one) has been the shocking ride - hard and bouncy all at the same time. While on the subject of ride, I was seriously impressed with Bryan Allman's E63 the other day - I had expected Peter's CL63 to be exceptional, but even in sport mode the E63 insulated you pretty well, but not tried on the potholed roads round here.

While on the subject of ride, I was seriously impressed with Bryan Allman's E63 the other day - I had expected Peter's CL63 to be exceptional, but even in sport mode the E63 insulated you pretty well, but not tried on the potholed roads round here.
I know I can be accused of bias over this, but imo the E63 is the most underrated car (in the UK at least) in the AMG range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom