Diesel additive and injector problems

Do you use a diesel additive and have you had injector problems?

• No additive / No problems

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • No additive / Had problems

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Use additive / No problems

Votes: 36 41.4%
  • Use additive / Had problems

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
We seem to have had a number of posts relating to clogged / faulty injectors.

We are told that using additives restricts the warranty.

If I was cynical i could think that maybe MB wants people to have problems once the warranty has expired, as a revenue raiser.

I thought it would be good to have a poll to guage the level of problems or otherwise.

Only ever had CDI powered Mercedes-Benz and have never used any additives.

No problems

John

I have always used diesel additives in all my diesel vehicles. I took the injectors out of mine at 80K miles, had them tested and they were as good as new.

Is one injector cleaner as good as another?

So I decided, after reading deiselman's constant banging on about Millers, that I should add some injector cleaner to the car. However, the only car shop I have anywhere near me is Halfords (yeah :-( I know), and they don't sell Millers.

They had a number, including "redex" and "nos", and the one I bought, "Wynns". The product I used was caled "Wynn's Deisel Injector Protector", and it claims triple action - it cleans, lubricates and prevents fuel oxidation. Website is http://www.wynns.uk.com although they don't seem to have this exact product listed anywhere.

The effects? Well, the engine seems to run smoother - not as loud, no 'clackety-clak' kind of noises. There is no smoke coming out of the exhaust any more. I *think* acceleration seems smoother, although this could be psychological. But in general, wow. I wasn't expecting such a dramatic effect so fast. I wonder what it will do to the mpg? Maybe the injectors being clogged up is what's been keeping my car to 18mpg round town, 25 on mixed run and 36 on motorway (for an E320 CDI that's crap). We'll see.

But back to this post. Are all the cleaners as good as each other? Anyone had good or bad experiences with Wynn's? Should I be doing a dieselman and searching for Millers? :)

Thanks,

-simon

add

use millers diesel power +...every tank full

SimonsMerc said:
But back to this post. Are all the cleaners as good as each other? Anyone had good or bad experiences with Wynn's? Should I be doing a dieselman and searching for Millers? :)

Thanks,

-simon

As long as they have lubricity additives then broadly speaking all diesel additives work in a similar way.
I like Millars because it is a dosing at every fill up as opposed to a one-shot additive, in addition they started making this additive for use in Truck racing to reduce smoke and improve the fuel.
Also I buy it in 5L cans so it works out cheaper, having said that Costco sell STP (i think) and that's cheap too if not as convenient to measure.

Someone I know steadfastedly refused to use any additives or indeed quality oils claiming them to be a waste of money.
After having his boat injectors reconned and his motorhome being on the verge of MOT failure due to emmissions, he used an injector cleaner. Next MOT no problem and he's now a convert.

Anyway, pleased you can tell the difference.

Last edited:
SimonsMerc said:
I wasn't expecting such a dramatic effect so fast. I wonder what it will do to the mpg? Maybe the injectors being clogged up is what's been keeping my car to 18mpg round town,

Me thinks there was a petrol engine under the bonnet :) and when you went into Halfords the 'little people' swapped it for a nice fuel efficient diesel.

Good luck,
John

I use Millers in two diesel vehicles and the effects are very clear on both. As a Cetane improver it does reduce diesel clatter at idle and provides a clear improvement in performance.

In my E320cdi things just get better. In a 3.0D Toyota Landcruiser "performance" is not even an issue but mid range pull is much improved and sounds less like a tractor at idle.

Bump.

Moderators. Can this be a sticky so we capture votes over a longer time frame?

Hi,

MB in the States had a cleaner/cetane booster developed by Red Line oils. It is sold as Red Line 85+. It does work. Mind you, it doesn't stop common rail diesel injectors leaking internally! I have yet to find an additive that will cure this fault.

regards,

Job

use bp diesel with the highest cetane rating defn quiet and more mpg by 2 or 3 use comma diesel magic

twice said:
After reading the posts releated to diesel additives, I have decided to use one.

I cannot find any source for Millers in Hunragy; I have found that Liqui Moly products (Super Power Diesel) could be an alternative (http://www.liqui-moly.com/web/lmhomeen.nsf/pages/index_flash).

Anyone has any experience with Liqui Moly?

I have been trying to lay my hands on some of Liqui Moly's Diesel Purge which all of the Diesel guys in the US use to clean their injectors and pre-chambers.

They swear by the stuff......problem we have in the UK is that there are currently no Liqui Moly agents :(

Does anybody know where I can lay my hands on some Liqui Moly Diesel Purge??????????

regarding fuel additives and warranty ? I swear by REDEX (a few squirts every tankful)
Ihave done very high mileages in my diesels and never ever changed an injector.

Could someone tell me if there was a warranty claim on an engine how could the dealer tell if a drop of additive had been used with the fuel ? Could they prove it and decline the claim? My 330 diesel BMW is still under warranty and I have used it since I bought it. It runs superb .
Roy

Roy said:
regarding fuel additives and warranty ? I swear by REDEX (a few squirts every tankful)
Ihave done very high mileages in my diesels and never ever changed an injector.

Could someone tell me if there was a warranty claim on an engine how could the dealer tell if a drop of additive had been used with the fuel ? Could they prove it and decline the claim? My 330 diesel BMW is still under warranty and I have used it since I bought it. It runs superb .
Roy
ask is,

Hi Roy,
I know you are not criticising the excellent BMW 330D engine, but surely it runs superbly without the additive?

If any competant scientist wanted to check any fuel to see if it contains additives it is quite a simple task. But would they?

Red diesel is the common fuel that is scientifically tested. Certain organisations remove the dye, but a very quick test soon discloses the fuels 'real colour.'

John

I dont use any additives- why would you want to? The latest diesel injection systems are pressurised much higher so probably unwise to add anything to fuel. Dont modern fuels have everything taken care of?
I just had new injectors fitted under warranty on W211 E Class. For what reason I dont know. I thought thay were non warranty items.

avoyager said:
I dont use any additives- why would you want to? The latest diesel injection systems are pressurised much higher so probably unwise to add anything to fuel. Dont modern fuels have everything taken care of?
I just had new injectors fitted under warranty on W211 E Class. For what reason I dont know. I thought thay were non warranty items.

Additives add cetane to improve the burn, cleaning agents to keep the injectors clear and working at their optimum, and lubrication additives, important since the sulpher is much reduced in pump fuel.

You have just had new injectors due to them being faulty. The whole point of the poll is to acsertain the level of problems or otherwise.

How did you vote? It looks like it should have been no additive / had problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom