diesel additives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Googled 2

Last edited:
Bye the way, I thank you for every post reply you give me, you don't do the same, but that's the forum.

Oops, sorry Yaz. Been busy for a while..

Sorted.. :)

Nice pics and kit there. Could've done with one of those a few weeks ago when I came across a house fire....

Oops, sorry Yaz. Been busy for a while..

Sorted.. :)

Nice pics and kit there. Could've done with one of those a few weeks ago when I came across a house fire....
Diesel man, apologies from me for being too aggressive in my postings. I need to calm down a bit, apologies agian.

Your postings are good and honest. anyway, I am off tomorrow for 8 days, fly from Manchester am. Talk later.

I have to say I am a Millers Diesel Additive convert. I use it in a Mitsubushi Pajero TD -Jap import. Pre additive, very smokey and noisy; post additive, no smoke, quieter and more power. A friend who is also a Millers user, had to replace an injector on his C220 CDI. The MB mechanic could not believe how clean everything was - he said that up to that, the most time consuming part of replacing an injector was cleaning away the gunge at the bottom of the injector housing.

I do have a report from a trade motor press somewhere, and I hope to find it.

Diesel man, apologies from me for being too aggressive in my postings. I need to calm down a bit, apologies agian.

Your postings are good and honest. anyway, I am off tomorrow for 8 days, fly from Manchester am. Talk later.

Don't go soft on us Yaz...

Read something last year (which of course I cannot find now) about the role of additives in moden high speed high pressure common rail diesels, especially those that use piezo injectors because the fuel injection is not a single spurt but a series of multiple rapid pulses that are varied by the engine management system.

The moral was that in order to work well these engines rely on replication of precise short duration spray patterns. Any injector crud inhibits that more than on older style injectors so piezo injector units benefit from quality fuels with decent additive packages to keep them clean.

My Land Cruiser has piezo injectors and sounded like a tractor after running through a few tankfuls of fuel with no Millers Powersport 4 because I had run out. In with the Millers and after a few days normal service restored.

My Land Cruiser has piezo injectors and sounded like a tractor after running through a few tankfuls of fuel with no Millers Powersport 4 because I had run out. In with the Millers and after a few days normal service restored.

Especially after dropping the plough off the back...

That makes good sense and doesn't have the drawbacks of EGR.

I wonder what the effect of the pumping losses have on efficiecy and torque output.

Your post with the mtu engine link. post #30.
One of the features is lack of EGR as it employs variable inlet valve timing to reduce cylinder charge to reduce the combustion temperature.

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly.

The new units meet the more stringent demands of EU Emissions Stage IIIA which, in particular, prescribes a significant reduction in nitrogen oxide from the current maximum of 9.5 g/kWh to a new limit of 6.0 g/ kWh from 2009. The MTU rail units more than satisfy the NOX specifications by employing purely internal engine technology, that is by using the “Miller” process without any exhaust aftertreatment. With this technique, the inlet valves close earlier than is otherwise normal during the combustion process. This leads to lower combustion temperatures and reduced nitrogen oxide emissions from the engine. The new combustion balance on Series 4000 rail units also achieves a significant decrease in particulate emissions.

Should have read my own link more carefully. :eek: :eek:

A lot of the High Speed Train power cars (first introduced into service in 1976) are being re-engined with MTU engines because of increased fuel efficiency and reduced emissions.

It was engines roughly the same size as these (but made by Maybach) that I worked on in the mid nineteen sixties. I was reminded of this when one of the other posters referred to working on "big" diesels.

No doubt there will be a forum member who worked on the "Cathedral" sized marine diesels.

I have to add in here that when I bought my Merc I added some additive into the tank - I got brilliant MPG out of the first few tanks of petrol - maybe coincidence, maybe I was driving more carefully (although I don't think I was seeing as I had my foot to the floor most time I went anywhere!! lol) but I had forgotten all about the additive stuff ever since.....I may just give it another go and see if it improves the MPG again!

Should have read my own link more carefully. :eek: :eek:

A lot of the High Speed Train power cars (first introduced into service in 1976) are being re-engined with MTU engines because of increased fuel efficiency and reduced emissions.

It was engines roughly the same size as these (but made by Maybach) that I worked on in the mid nineteen sixties. I was reminded of this when one of the other posters referred to working on "big" diesels.

No doubt there will be a forum member who worked on the "Cathedral" sized marine diesels.
I have always wondered what diesels are in thoseTonka truck things that operate in big quarries, the ones that you need to go up a ladder to enter the divers cab.

Have recently started using Millers addative in my C270cdi. I must say that the engine is much quieter and seems to have a bit more "go". I am now on my second tank of fuel with addative...have not seen any increase in mpg yet, in fact it seems to be down slightly, but this may be due to the ongoing cleaning process that is going on, or could be just due to the nature of my journeys at the moment.....hoping to see an improvement in mpg after a few tankfulls when the injectors have cleaned up. Just for record, I have had the car for 6 months and it has done about 38,000 miles.

yeah our Citroen failed the MOT last year due to emmissions - i chucked some of this stuff into the fuel tank and give it a thrash and then it passed ;-)

I spent 5 years on diesel engine test and development in a lab environment and unless you drive like a granny everywhere not letting your engine work then diesel additives are not worth it.

Going from good quality to very bad quality diesel makes a difference, the butt dyno is not sensitive to notice any differences though, it's a placebo in 99.9% of cases imo.

Dave!

I spent 5 years on diesel engine test and development in a lab environment and unless you drive like a granny everywhere not letting your engine work then diesel additives are not worth it.

Going from good quality to very bad quality diesel makes a difference, the butt dyno is not sensitive to notice any differences though, it's a placebo in 99.9% of cases imo.

Dave!

Well, all I can say is that my engine really is quieter and smoother since I started using Millers and I do not drive like a granny....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom