Diesel Cabriolets- Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Whilst driving down the motorway today, I passed an Audi A4 2.0 tdi cabriolet and it got me thinking, why do people buy a diesel cabriolet? Don't misunderstand my point, I am a massive fan of diesels, cabriolets also, yet I would never buy one. :dk: In all fairness it would be the only thing I would buy that isn't a diesel...

I used to think like that,

I've had a few convertible and they have been lovely cars, however my wifes recent purchase of a CDI B class has really changed my view on Diesels. We used her's recently to travel to france and 2500 miles, almost ALL cars over in France are diesels.

Most BMW diesals are as quick as the petrol versions they are along side with, probably the same for most other makes. The range with a tank is much further, they do more mpg and they hold the price better. No idea on company car tax but guess cheaper due to lower Co2. ooh and road tax probably a tad cheaper.

While I agree on the some of the Alpine roads I have driven a petrol convertible would be hard to beat for sound and drivabilty, everyday owner ship, running costs and doing bigger mile (20K a year) in this day and age they do make sence.

Roof down at the lights ok its still going to rattle, and that would take some getting used to, but given the performance would be on par yet they would be almost double a petrol version of the same engine then they start to make sence.

I actually quite liked the idea of a A4 sportline 3.0 Tdi Quattro. 4 seater, safe, economical ish, convertible, could tow our van and drive to the alps in winter while we cruise there roof down in summer :)

Choice I guess at the end of the day.

Hmmm........ Perhaps it’s a generation thing. Do I like squeezie upside down sauce bottles - Not really. Yes I understand it’s a no brainer to go this way for bottled condiments (Now there’s a word to confuse the grandchildren) So perhaps the idea of a diesel cabriolet being "wrong" is just a matter of what we are used to. I have always thought a proper cabriolet must be petrol. Now however, perhaps not.
The rattle of a diesel is long gone along with the associated smell of your own exhaust fumes drifting into your own cabin space in a soft-top.
Again I do not think there would ever be a market for a diesel Mustang, but you never know.

Ha A210AMG beat me to it. Similar poinion though.

When choosing my last car I specifically ruled out the CLK circa 2008 as there was no diesel option.
If I could have had the benefits of the good looks with 320 v6 diesel I'd have been very tempted.
I did test drive the A4 cab diesel but it wasn't the latest shape and the dash look too dated for a £20k car.

Hmmm........ Perhaps it’s a generation thing. Do I like squeezie upside down sauce bottles - Not really. Yes I understand it’s a no brainer to go this way for bottled condiments (Now there’s a word to confuse the grandchildren) So perhaps the idea of a diesel cabriolet being "wrong" is just a matter of what we are used to. I have always thought a proper cabriolet must be petrol. Now however, perhaps not.
The rattle of a diesel is long gone along with the associated smell of your own exhaust fumes drifting into your own cabin space in a soft-top.
Again I do not think there would ever be a market for a diesel Mustang, but you never know.

Ha A210AMG beat me to it. Similar poinion though.
I am in my early thirties :D, and I don't think they are wrong. It's just that to me a soft top is a luxury item and I think with the hood down, even with the advances in diesel engines, when you put your foot down, the noise....:crazy: Now don't get me wrong with the petrol vs diesel debate, I am very firmly in the diesel camp e.g. Audis V10 Tdi is out of this world, but I think in this case I would suffer the frugality of a diesel for the sound of a petrol:thumb:

I have the diesel E Class cab'. Brilliant and love the sound of 350cdi engine hood up or down and at full bore this car takes off. 40+mpg.

i think diesel cabriolets are just plain wrong!

I'm not really a "diesel person" though - I have a c220 cdi at the moment, but company mileage insists more than anything.

That said I'm not really a cabriolet person either - generally speaking i'd rather have the coupe version! - but still I think that there is just something wrong with a diesel cab - sorry...

Diesel not good enough? I can only support the posts above that see diesels as a positive step for what they can now do...those against seem luddite and King Canute at this point in time:D

If MB did a Diesel SL I would be one to seriously consider it as Torque + good MPG is what you need for a heavy cruiser

However the days of Diesel may be numbered now as Euro 6 emmisions may restrict its use in larger cars

The circle of life:rolleyes:

^ I have to agree

My dad has had his E320Cdi esate since new in 2003 and loves it, powerfull, huge, yet 40 plus mpg...

He had an SLK as a weekend car and always would have loves a SLK320 CDi... but although rumoured never happend..

It would be as quick as a petrol 350, more torque than a SLK55 yet 40 + Mpg easiliy.

I've changed my thought process regarding diesels completely recently modern ones are truely amazing.

Hmm - it's not really luddite.

convertibles are a luxury item - an indulgence, something which fits no purpose other than motoring enjoyment - which is (to me) slightly at odds with the diesel engine - a workhorse, powerful, economic - a mile muncher.

cabriolets / convertibles should have refined, smooth petrol engines - think the SL500 V8 - I know that diesels are much more refined and smooth than they used to be - especially modern Euro 6-cyl diesels - but they ain't no petrol V8 just yet!

that said - the post above about a 1-car-fits-all - towing - mile-munching - posing - sumer driving - I can see some attraction there.

still wrong tho!
:)

Hmm - it's not really luddite.

convertibles are a luxury item - an indulgence, something which fits no purpose other than motoring enjoyment

Not in my book. Ive always enjoyed driving, whether its for work(horse) or pleasure.Its like a walk in the country for fresh air but quicker:D An indulgence?yes ,but only like any other pleasure

- which is (to me) slightly at odds with the diesel engine - a workhorse, powerful, economic - a mile muncher.

cabriolets / convertibles should have refined, smooth petrol engines - think the SL500 V8 - I know that diesels are much more refined and smooth than they used to be - especially modern Euro 6-cyl diesels - but they ain't no petrol V8 just yet!

that said - the post above about a 1-car-fits-all - towing - mile-munching - posing - sumer driving - I can see some attraction there.

still wrong tho!
:)

;););)

In normal driving the 350 Cdi e-Class Cab is faster than the petrol equivelant. Made perfect sense to me after test driving them. The only one that didn;t make sense was the 2.0Tdi A5 cabriolet (it was the only cab they had at the time on demo) not sure why anyone would buy that as it is not quick, very noisy etc. But the v6 denzel merc engine is pretty sweet IMHO of course :)

when I was buying my e-class cab, i toyed with the idea of getting a diesel, but decided against it. 2 reasons why, I did not fancy sitting at the lights with the roof down, hearing the noise of the diesel engine, and secondly I will be doing under 5k a year in it, so the extra cost of the diesel car didnt make any sense.

however, my daily driver, the CLS and my "Van" (B-Class) are both diesel as they do the most miles and return excellent miles per tank.

Even the latest Diesel engines are noisier that petrols - this is being addressed by heavy cabin soundproofing which makes MB Diesel cars very very quite - on the inside!

Soundproofing the cabin of a convertible on the other hand would be extremely difficult, and I guess that MB reckons that anyone paying premium for a prestige convertible would not be willing to live with the Diesel clatter. Which is probably not the case with buyer of cheap fun e.g. French convertibles.

I must be weird then...I like the growl of a powerful diesel! :D I have a twin turbo diesel Saab convertible which pulls like a train, looks great roof up or down and to me, even sounds good! For me, it's got to either sound like a thumping V8 or a growling, powerful oil burner. :) Saying that, I'm toying with buying an SLK as a fun thing...(but not for the sound of the little petrol engine).... :D

Even the latest Diesel engines are noisier that petrols - this is being addressed by heavy cabin soundproofing which makes MB Diesel cars very very quite - on the inside!

Soundproofing the cabin of a convertible on the other hand would be extremely difficult, and I guess that MB reckons that anyone paying premium for a prestige convertible would not be willing to live with the Diesel clatter. Which is probably not the case with buyer of cheap fun e.g. French convertibles.
BMW don't have that issue with the 635d..... :)

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/BMW-6-Series-635d-Sport-(07-09)/229267/

Last edited:
when I was buying my e-class cab, i toyed with the idea of getting a diesel, but decided against it. 2 reasons why, I did not fancy sitting at the lights with the roof down, hearing the noise of the diesel engine, and secondly I will be doing under 5k a year in it, so the extra cost of the diesel car didnt make any sense.

however, my daily driver, the CLS and my "Van" (B-Class) are both diesel as they do the most miles and return excellent miles per tank.

I only do about 4k per year and could of got away with a 15-20mpg snail as fuel costs and most of my driving is at legal limit. However, I was buying a convertible, which is not the most practical form of transport by a long way, and I wanted the best engine for it as well as the looks and open air. Having had my previous CLK200, whilst it was more than fast enough, you knew it was a small petrol engine. With the new E Class, and convertibles, the motoring press, by and large, said the 350 cdi was the best engine of the lot. Therefore, test drive of various diesels and petrols and I thought they were right - hence I ended up getting one.

As for any noise, I think at tick over, hood up or down, you cannot tell, put the music on and what with road noise it is no way a issue being a diesel. In fact at full bore this engine sounds brilliant and the performance is way too much to drive legally and safely without being very alert.

Conversely, whilst I could have got away with a 1.6 petrol in my car, I could not accept the ride of the Sport specification. My previous CLK had Sport suspension and AMG wheels and would thump all over the Buckinghamshire roads. When I test drove the E Class, whilst the Sport ride is better in the E than the old CLK, it was in my opinion still far to hard. I do like the looks of the Sport and some of the spec, hence the need to have multi-contour seats in mine.

Whatever the spec though I really like these cars, but the option of diesels in them was a great move. I would be interested in sales numbers of each engine variant.

Diesel Cabriolets - why?

It's obvious, isn't it? It so you can hear the sound of the economy better, isn't it?

I must be weird then...I like the growl of a powerful diesel! :D I have a twin turbo diesel Saab convertible which pulls like a train, looks great roof up or down and to me, even sounds good! For me, it's got to either sound like a thumping V8 or a growling, powerful oil burner. :) Saying that, I'm toying with buying an SLK as a fun thing...(but not for the sound of the little petrol engine).... :D

The idling of my car is so quiet, folk just think its a petrol. Even with the bonnet lifted its quiet.

I locked my v6cdi into 1st gear and drove it upto 25-30mph with the windows down and it was not noisy, and it makes a nice wee growl too.

A 4 banger though might be a tad gruffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom