Diesel fumes cause cancer, says World Health Organisation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Source. Belfast Telegraph.

Diesel fumes cause cancer, the World Health Organisation's cancer agency has declared - a ruling it said could make exhaust fumes as important a public health threat as secondhand cigarette smoke.

The risk of getting cancer from diesel fumes is small, but since so many people breathe in the fumes in some way, the science panel said raising the status of diesel exhaust to carcinogen from "probable carcinogen" was an important shift.

"It's on the same order of magnitude as passive smoking," said Kurt Straif, director of the IARC department that evaluates cancer risks. "This could be another big push for countries to clean up exhaust from diesel engines."

Full article. LINK.

Last edited:
Living causes death .....

No doubt the Govt will drastically increase the duty on diesel to encourage people to stop using it, just like cigarettes!

The industry has been scaling back diesel research for the past few years in anticipation of this... Hence petrol engines are advancing faster.

Looking at the price difference between petrol and diesel to buy (the fuel that is) For me there is no point in buying a new diesel car. Older ones sure.

(Why are buses diesel he wonders?)

New car for me Skoda Citygo - A few years down the line yet but that's the plan.

Diesel works for me (just) over 40k per annum... However the new focus ecoboost 3cyl is tipping that balance fast... As will the new 1.6 turbo c classes with the dct box.

im sitting in my C63 thinking of times when i used to smoke Marlboro red ( two before breakfast even!)
all seems quite safe in comparison to diesel !

There are far worse toxins in our lives which the WHO says little about:
GMO's, Aspartame, Thymerosal to name a few...

There are far worse toxins in our lives which the WHO says little about:
GMO's, Aspartame, Thymerosal to name a few...
Never heard of them I must admit so I've no idea how much I'm exposed to them. But I do know how often I get stuck behind a diesel that's churning out fumes that make me choke. That's why diesel drivers think their cars accelerate so well - nobody behind wants to die from the fumes, so we keep well back!!:p

When you read the release there is very little there - just that studies available now show a causal link in humans, which is what was suspected in the past. What the press doesn't report is that these studies are based on workers that have high/extreme levels of exposure (such as mine workers).

Petrol fumes are classed as 2A - meaning that there is sufficient evidence in animals but not yet in human studies to show a causal link.

Studies over recent years have concentrated on diesel emissions - mainly particulates - but with the environmental agenda that WHO seem to follow in this area I foresee a major shift towards looking at petrol emissions and expect to see that being classified as a group 1 carcinogenic substance.

Perhaps the WHO ought to consider the tons of emmissions spread throughout the atmosphere by planes, probably far more fuel than that used in cars.

What I do know for certain is that boat covers at sailing clubs near Heathrow only last a couple of years whereas mine down on the coast lasted forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom