diesel glow plug replacement parts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWM

Car
A180d
I have an A-class diesel company car. 4 yo 30k. The glow plug warning light came on and the dealership confirmed these needed replaced. They then told me there were no supplies in the UK and they had zero visibility about any replenishment into the UK. No reason given: car indefinitely off the road. Can’t see any other posts about this and wondered if this was a known supply problem with any details about the real story? Thanks

The car doesn't need to glow plugs to run. It will start ok when cold, just cause a little more emissions until warmed up

The car doesn't need to glow plugs to run. It will start ok when cold, just cause a little more emissions until warmed up

thanks - dealership said it was not to be driven and have taken it off the road. Won’t pass it’s MOT and they’ve given me a courtesy car indefinitely. Just doesn’t feel or sound right and wondered if there was a bigger story.

The car's 4yrs old, does your company require you to have the car repaired/serviced at the dealership?
Otherwise as a111r says, get it to an MB independent and get the job done there

thanks - dealership said it was not to be driven and have taken it off the road. Won’t pass it’s MOT and they’ve given me a courtesy car indefinitely. Just doesn’t feel or sound right and wondered if there was a bigger story.
Why would they say it will fail an MOT?
The glow plugs are only to warm the chamber before start but it will still start, so when the engine is warm the glow plugs are not needed.
It wasn't Arnold clark by any chance? in any case, I would be looking for a different garage.

I remember the 'good old days' when we got a new company car every 18/24 months because they were pretty much buggered at 70K miles and the lease company wanted at least a bit of re sale on them. I never had a company car that I had to take for an MOT.

Rose tinted specs want me to say 'Happy Days'...But I have not seen a 130i Cavalier, 1.6i Ford Orion or Rover 216i for years now :p...I will brush over the Vauxhaull Belmont...:fail: , pretend it never happened

The bigger story here seems like they're bullshitters.

With all the anti-pollution regs we have now, I can very well imagine that a glow-plug malfunction would indeed be a MOT fail.

And they've given you a courtesy car . . .

If they start a cold diesel engine without functioning glow-plugs during an MOT it might well show some black smoke on which it will instantly fail, but it does sound a bit like bull$hit to me.

If they start a cold diesel engine without functioning glow-plugs during an MOT it might well show some black smoke on which it will instantly fail, but it does sound a bit like bull$hit to me.
I always book a time when getting an MOT, I always take the car in fully warmed up, if the engine is hot the glow plugs are not needed, and I have never had a car fail the emissions.

Smoke testing (Opacity) is only carried out once the engine is above 80c or at the normal operating temperature, so glow plug condition/operation isn't a concern..

Our family 'jump in and drive' car , - my mother in laws petrol Toyota Yaris that she no longer wants to drive - has passed 2 MOT with EML on/cancelled , code stating that the Catalytic converter is fooked. I simply cancel the EML just before the MOT test and the MOT station confirms that the actual output from the exhaust pipe is fine. Sod what the EML says. Then again it is a petrol engine....waaaay simpler than those devilishly complicated new fangled diesel things :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom