Diesel in freezing conditions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
At what temperature should diesel drivers worry about diesel freezing or whatever it does at low temperatures? Or are additives added to keep it fluid?

All the major fuel retailers switch to a winter (anti-waxing) formulation at this time of year.

Modern diesel cars in Russia have no problem down to the usual -25C we experience.

car started at -7 today. with only 30% diesel in it - the rest WVO.... so i dont think you need to worry :D

as with others, it contains winter agents this time of year.

It depends on the grade of diesel fuel, the additives in the fuel, and water contamination.

When the temperature drops, wax crystals can form in the fuel, plugging the fuel filter and/or fuel line. This will prevent the engine from running.

Regular diesel fuel should resist gelling down to about -20 deg. C, while winter blends of diesel fuel and kerosene can typically handle temperatures down to -23 degrees C to -29 deg.C.

The pour point of the fuel (the point at which it starts to gel) can be lowered by additives, and my using heaters in the fuel filter, fuel tank and around the fuel line.

M.

Cheers guys. Nice to know there's nothing to worry about.

I found this from (Detailing World - View Single Post - Diesel freeze/gel point?)

The applicable specification is BS EN 590:2009
There are two tests relating to cold flow properties or ‘waxing’:

• Cloud Point – the temperature at which wax crystals first form
• Cold Filter Plug Point (CFPP) – the temperature at which a standard fuel filter begins to block
The CFPP is the relevant one to consider. Specific additives are used to modify crystal growth to reduce the CFPP temperature.
EN 590 has 5 Climate-related requirements for cold flow properties (A to F) plus an additional 5 classes of ‘Arctic’ or extreme climate (0 to 4).

• Class A CFPP +5degC
• Class B CFPP 0degC
• Class C CFPP -5degC
• Class D CFPP -10degC
• Class F CFPP -15degC
Arctic grades:

• Class 0 CFPP -20degC
• Class 1 CFPP -26degC
• Class 2 CFPP -32degC
• Class 3 CFPP -38degC
• Class 4 CFPP -44degC
UK Winter Grade is Class F CFPP -15degC

Scandinavia, parts of Germany, Alpine France, Switzerland etc use one the Arctic classes depending on climate in the region – hence Bulla2000’s comment about -26degC (Class 1) in his region of Germany.

If you want a discourse on effects of a dirty fuel filter, why you should not add extra CFPP depression additives or petrol or kerosine, why some vehicles have problems when others don’t at the same temperature then just ask.
I used to manage oil refineries.

So basically as of right now and last night the diesel in my tank is almost at the CFPP :O

I have a feeling this may be the problem with all the HGV's "breaking down" in Scotland at the moment. Some large hauliers have their own tanks at base. How long do these last before they are empty? If they filled up a few months ago will they have the correct winter stuff in their tanks? Normal garage pumps have a big enough turnover to refill constantly, but would small rural garages?

just a thought..

I don't think the HGV's are so much "broken down" more "stuck". A haulier's tank would hold about 3~4 weeks worth so they shouldn't have a problem.

also make sure u have a very good battery (maybe even over an above merc specs) as the glow plugs (change them!) need a good ones to get it started in such cold weather

I don't think the HGV's are so much "broken down" more "stuck". A haulier's tank would hold about 3~4 weeks worth so they shouldn't have a problem.

I suppose it's possible, but the switchover dates are very early - if I recall correctly it's something like Sept to May for winter fuel mix. Aren't the dates set in law (part of the fuel standard)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom