Diesel Injector Guru: Anyone use this service?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Screwdriver, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Welcome to Dieselfuelinjector.guru

I'm tempted to send him my OM616 injectors and lift pump, as I have struggled to find someone who is very familiar and can rebuild these locally. Only challenge is that he is located Stateside.

Anyone use him or someone as focussed solely on our classic parts locally?

Cheers!

2. a111r

a111r Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S123 240TD, S210 320cdi, S202 250TD.
    I wouldn't send them to the USA to get them rebuilt.
    $99 for 5 injectors is also too cheap, IMO. For a strip down, clean up, new nozzles, re-shim to balance, then pop test.

I've used these folk to order Bosch parts:
    CAE Diesel ltd, Sewardstone Hall Farm, Sewardstone Rd, London, E4 7RH Tel 020 8049 0601

Diesel fuel injection system experts in East London

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Screwdriver

First time I've heard someone worry about being too inexpensive ;)

The "guru" doesn't include replacement nozzles at that price but he does appear to have a decent following on the US forums. I'm only looking to restore my injectors and lift pump, not order new ones.

4. Steveml63

Steveml63 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML63 AMG
    Hi,
    It seems he gives them a good wash and brush up (without a wire brush!)
    You are effectively paying for his labour and knowledge - so prices seem fair.
    Cheers
    Steve

5. a111r

Car:
    OK. These 'ancient tech' indirect injection units have Bosch DNOSD pintles with a single nozzle.
    They are self-cleaning, and as such, don't block. They just wear to the point that the spray pattern goes bad. They will be 'worn' from 100K miles but may still atomise fine. Cleaning them, at any mileage, is therefore not worth doing. Better to test their spray pattern ... if you have reason to. Such as a drop off in performance ( this is the 616! :))

Lift pumps on these also very rarely fail. All they have to do is supply 15 PSI to the HP pump. So if not broken, don't worry.

If an OM616 / 617 is running sub-optimally (assuming the fuel filters are OK), then there are 2 main things to check before suspecting the injectors:
    The timing (point of injection - due to cam chain wear) and, much more likely...a lack of any manual valve adjustment over the years - because it's a right pain and thus gets ignored.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    91dm and Screwdriver like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Screwdriver

Timing and valve adjustment are both recently checked/ adjusted. Diesel purge also done. I intend to supply new nozzles along with my injectors and he will clean, install, test and ship back to me like new for $89. The lift pump is original and I suspect the O-rings are long gone (The IP had what appeared to be old diesel fuel inside it with very little to no oil). It's also covered in rust.

The car experiences two major symptoms only - 1) Really difficult to start cold without a light dab on the throttle. Smokes only on startup. 2) Intermittent stalling when shifting from 2nd/3rd to neutral when coasting to stop. No oil leaks or consumption at all. Excellent power, fuel economy and strong compression.

I've been trying to eliminiate fuel/ air leak issues one by one to address the above symptoms. After this, only thing left would be the injection pump components.

a111r likes this.
  7. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Have you checked on the customs implications for doing this?

Screwdriver likes this.
  8. a111r

Car:
    $20 per injector is a bargain if all the steps are taken, like shimming to adjust the break pressure.

Screwdriver likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Screwdriver

I haven't but expect it to be around $30-40 in VAT and charges only.