Diesel Injector lifespan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AANDYY

Car
E300DT-W210-1997-Elegance-Azurite Metalic Blue. (Don't mention the rust, LOL) Running on WVO. 65k m
How long do diesel injectors normal last? Is it a piece of string question?

I thank you...........:thumb:

Very variable depending on what you've been feeding through them and the type of driving.
If there is no smoke or knocking, they are probably ok. If in doubt pull them out and have them tested for spray pattern.

Very variable depending on what you've been feeding through them and the type of driving.
If there is no smoke or knocking, they are probably ok. If in doubt pull them out and have them tested for spray pattern.

I've been experimentally driving to try and see smoke, very little or no smoke, start up, full acceleration at low revs etc.
Still got the slight unbalance at 1400/1500 rpm though, sometimes it's intermittent though :rolleyes:, tested it on pump diesel as well, same.

Rev it very slowly from 1400-2000 rpm. Does the shudder disappear or get worse and is there any obvious missing or smoke.

If things improve then it's probably just engine mounts going a bit soft, if it gets gradually worse then it will be an injector either duff or clogged. The r/h mount always goes first due to the extra weight of the turbo and engine torque.

When I tried mine on Veg and didn't drive it for two weeks other than in and out of the garage daily, it did this. Neat injector cleaner sorted it.

Rev it very slowly from 1400-2000 rpm. Does the shudder disappear or get worse and is there any obvious missing or smoke.

If things improve then it's probably just engine mounts going a bit soft, if it gets gradually worse then it will be an injector either duff or clogged. The r/h mount always goes first due to the extra weight of the turbo and engine torque.

When I tried mine on Veg and didn't drive it for two weeks other than in and out of the garage daily, it did this. Neat injector cleaner sorted it.

Interesting! when I gently rev to 1400ish (very small window of rpm's) it's unbalanced but when I continue over 1500ish it disapears, so sounds like engine mounts? Hope so, cheaper than £250 ish for x6 injectors.

1400 rpm seems to be the natural resonant frequency for the OM606. If it's only slight I don't think there is a problem at all.

I put a spot of injector cleaner in during every fillup and my injectors are as good as new. 212,000 miles so far :)

What are you using?

For years I used Redex but for the last year or so I have used Millers. It is available in Hellfrauds and works out about the same cost as using a premium grade fuel.

Incidentally, I also used it on my last car which was a Peugeot 405 diesel. I took that from 44k miles, when I bought it, to 167k miles when I sold it to a work colleague and it was still running like a dream on the original injectors.

I know people on this forum have differing views on additives but, going purely on experience, I will always use it (especially on a diesel).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom