diesel injectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The later Delphi injectors need coding via Star

This thread was always about Bosch injectors :)

The PDF file is for Bosch not Delphi
Yes, the illustration shows a Bosch injector - although Bosch isn't mentioned anywhere in the document.
The document focus would appear to be engine numbers - and I'd be surprised if lot of CDI-3 engines aren't fitted with Delphi injectors (hence my inference that mine will need a recode).

Yes, the illustration shows a Bosch injector - although Bosch isn't mentioned anywhere in the document.
The document focus would appear to be engine numbers - and I'd be surprised if lot of CDI-3 engines aren't fitted with Delphi injectors (hence my inference that mine will need a recode).

It doesn't need to mention Bosch in the document for obvious reasons.

Match your engine code to the manufacturer rated injectors.

It doesn't need to mention Bosch in the document for obvious reasons.

Match your engine code to the manufacturer rated injectors.

That looks more like a Mercedes document than a Bosch-produced one.

When it was produced, I doubt there were yet a lot of Delphi injectors fitted to Merc engines - but the 6-digit rating code on them is the same alphanumeric format as on the Bosches ... and it's on the basis of that that I'm getting my reconned Delphis recoded.

Please read the PDF file

Nowhere does it mention Delphi or Engines fitted with Delphi injectors, the thread is about Bosch injectors and relevant engine codes pertaining to that, the document clearly states what engines and codes its referring to.

Perhaps start a thread regarding Delphi injectors for your engine code to avoid confusing anyone reading this one.

:)

Last edited:
Please read the PDF file

Nowhere does it mention Delphi or Engines fitted with Delphi injectors, the thread is about Bosch injectors and relevant engine codes pertaining to that, the document clearly states what engines and codes its referring to.

Perhaps start a thread regarding Delphi injectors for your engine code to avoid confusing anyone reading this one.

The coding data on the injectors is provided to tell the ECU what injector is fitted to which cylinder for MB Star to perform diagnostics, the ECU will make adaptations regardless of the coding being performed or not.

Piezo injectors do need coding.

Whoever the injector manufacturer, it's safe to say that for engines with injectors that have a 6-digit rating code, recoding will be required ... unless you're replacing your old injectors with new ones with the same codes.

Not really.

You can fit injectors that have coding info on them to engines that don't require coding to be performed, its called cross compatibility.

As already stated in this thread the later engine codes required coding not the early type (with exception to one rare non UK variant) Bosch or Delphi they are coded.

Not really.

You can fit injectors that have coding info on them to engines that don't require coding to be performed, its called cross compatibility.

As already stated in this thread the later engine codes required coding not the early type (with exception to one rare non UK variant) Bosch or Delphi they are coded.

Looking at the document, it might seem they went from using the tripartite system (injectors marked 1, 2 or 3) to injectors that were all within tolerance - obviating the need for ECU compensation.
But later switched to using injectors with a broader range of tolerances (20 ratings) and full-on ECU compensation - presumably to increase the range of injector compatibility.

Looking at the document, it might seem they went from using the tripartite system (injectors marked 1, 2 or 3) to injectors that were all within tolerance - obviating the need for ECU compensation.
But later switched to using injectors with a broader range of tolerances (20 ratings) and full-on ECU compensation - presumably to increase the range of injector compatibility.

The injectors went higher than 1-2-3 values, injectors can only be manufactured to OEM requirements, as emission requirements increased so did injector efficiency values, ECU compensations were tightened so injector technology increased,
you cannot compare your injectors to anything in this thread as they are completely different.

Last edited:
The injectors went higher than 1-2-3 values, injectors can only be manufactured to OEM requirements, as emission requirements increased so did injector efficiency values, ECU compensations were tightened so injector technology increased,
you cannot compare your injectors to anything in this thread as they are completely different.
Not quite sure what you mean by 'went higher' - but 1, 2, 3 was just a three-way division of the (within-) tolerance range.

Nor sure what you mean by 'completely different'. Delphi and Bosch produce injectors to an OEM specification.

As I understand it, tighter emissions regs required finer functional (and so physical) injector tolerances - which in turn, demanded (more and) finer ECU compensations.
Hence the increase from just three injector tolerance divisions to the now 20.

Last edited:
No there were more than (3) upto (7) iirc

From a E320 CDI 2005 currently in for work. note (4) Bosch non coded injectors

Anyway I'll let you research it and start your own thread on Delphi injectors perhaps it can continue there.

Last edited:
Fitted my recons and drove 40 miles to get them coded - running very rough with little power and plenty of pinking when opening the throttle.
Coding requires entry of the entire 20-digit injector code - and can be done in 10 minutes.

Now she runs like new - and it's cured a slight misfire perceptible through the gear lever that's been around since day one (18 months ago).
Smooth as the proverbial baby's ... and 52 MPG on runs, 46 MPG on average (up from 42 MPG average).
Plus no more Lamda-sensor sooting up, causing the ECU turn the turbo vanes wide open (giving a characteristic growl).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom