Diesel leak at fuel rail (W210 320CDI)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

Car
W210 320CDI
Hello all, I have a strong smell of diesel especially when idling, so I removed the engine covers and can see what looks like a valve mounted on the fuel rail that's leaking from it's centre.

I've used a parts catalogue site to give me the part number but I'm none the wiser as to what it's for, unless perhaps it's an air purging valve to expel air caught up in the system. I can't see whether it has any interface with the fuel rail bit it doesn't look like it. The part in question is part no 49 in the diagram (A611 078 03 49).

The catalogue suggests the valve itself isn't available but that's probably just code for 'please order an up to date part instead, these leaked...'

Can anyone help, is this an easy part to change? The fuel line attached to it appears to be heat shrunk on and might be very difficult to remove.

Cheers,

Ian.

Attachments

• fuel system leak parts2.JPG
    fuel system leak parts2.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 227
Item 35 is the pipe that is needed. It comes with that leaky connector peice.

30mins to change.

Thanks Olly. Any special tools required that make it more sensible to take it to a garage or is it an easy one to do with a Halfords tool kit?

The reason I highlighted item 52 was because the fuel is coming from the centre of that piece and I saw some potential for an easy fix. ;)

What's it's function?

Cheers,

Ian.

It is a low fuel pressure measuring point.

It is straight forward to replace with a basic kit.

Thanks again Olly. :)

I'll get it ordered from MB then, until that gets fitted, do you reckon I can stop the leak by plugging the centre of the 'fitting' (item 52) to stop the fuel coming out of it's centre? My other half is about to give birth and so I would prefer not to have it in bits for a couple of weeks so a temporary fix would keep me out of the Vectra. ;)

I was thinking of a screw dipped in araldite or similar...

Cheers,

Ian.

MB should stock the part. It is a common failure. I don't think the leak is fixable temporary baisis.

Couldn't resist a quick look. I pulled the 'fitting' out and cleaned it, it's just a blanking plug with a flat end so you can grip it. After cleaning it, I put some fairy liquid in the open (outside) end of it and then started the engine, fairy liquid bubbling out.

On that basis I cleaned the inside part and filled it with Araldite, left it to go off and the leak has stopped. I've ordered a replacement from MB which will arrive from Milton Keynes on Monday, not least as I've no idea how compatible Araldite is with diesel.

The only irritation is that the plug isn't supposed to come out without a special tool to lift the clips under the tamper proof lid. While they're still seemingly secure, seeing as I disturbed it, I've filed notches into the plug and secured it to the 'valve' body with a cable tie. Last thing I want is for that to go missing before Monday and spew diesel all over the bay!

Thanks for your help Olly, hopefully it'll be as good as new again (well, that bit of it ;)) on Monday.

Ian.

Hi Ian did you get the part for this? I have the same problem looks simple enough to fix. How much was the part from MB? does the leaking part 49 come with the pipe 35?

OK now that the weather is warmer, I thought that I will investigate this further and removed the engine shroud. I can see diesel fuel dribbling from part 35 where it connects to the top front - ie NOT by the upper vavle 49 but where it connects above 41.

Question is, is there a knack to removing the pipes? I have pushed back the orange clip but I couldn't pull the pipe off - do I need to twist it or simply yank it off with all the force in the world?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom