Diesel scrappage scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Will it just be discount only on a more economical car though from a dealer, if not then I'm buying up as many old diesels as I can! :devil:

interesting.
might convince me to get rid of my early 90s diesel landcruiser, the exhaust from which you can actually chew.

Wonder what Dieselman will say to this !

Won't be popular with the veg oil boys either

Well I did say that if the govt offered me 9k for mine I might change it. They'd have to add a few hundred more for the extra bits I've done. Then I'd have to swap the plate. In fact ******** to it.

Oh aye, and no, I don't want to buy a new car and have debt

I don't see why petrol car owning tax payers should have to subsidise diesel car owners to that tune.

I don't see why petrol car owning tax payers should have to subsidise diesel car owners to that tune.

Indeed. And the same can be said of the subsidy on electric cars too.

However IMO the last scrappage scheme probably distorted the market with the customers getting less benefit than they might have otherwise assumed. (My feeling was that prices on cars like the Fiesta and Focus went up a bit - and the manufacturers played with specs and finance).

This will be smoke and mirrors.

In effect the scrappage scheme will be about discounts "up to" £8500 on new vehicles. The dishonest part will be that these discounts could likely be achieved without the scrapping of an otherwise usable car. But the public can only afford things when they think they are getting something for nothing.

However IMO the last scrappage scheme probably distorted the market with the customers getting less benefit than they might have otherwise assumed. (My feeling was that prices on cars like the Fiesta and Focus went up a bit - and the manufacturers played with specs and finance).

The government is incapable of spending tax payer money wisely. As soon as they subsidise anything there will be speculators that make a gross profit. Look at the nonsense of solar panel subsidies. Any time there is a knee jerk reaction to an environmental issue they get it wrong.

Not to mention that lots of perfectly useable cars were scrapped just so that the roads could be infested with new rubbish , and the environment could be blighted with the production of needless new vehicles while at the same time afflicted with needless disposal of vehicles which could have gone on for many years .

Think I will wait to see how its implemented. Already talk of "pilot schemes" in areas most effected by traffic pollution, which I take to mean urban conurbations, before a more general rollout. It will be interesting to see how many "diesel till I die" owners have a sudden change of heart if offered a tidy sum for their 10year + "smoker" :rolleyes: One hopes also that this fiscal munificence extends to public transport vehicles since many seem to be among the biggest polluters in the urban environment. :dk:

No - I STILL don't want to get into debt, I pay cash for my cars and I owe nothing to anyone.

If I was to be given a straight 9k cash for my car then yes, I would consider swapping for a petrol.

But as that is never going to happen then scrappage is no use to me.

No - I STILL don't want to get into debt, I pay cash for my cars and I owe nothing to anyone.

If I was to be given a straight 9k cash for my car then yes, I would consider swapping for a petrol.

An admirable sentiment. Not sure how that will play out in the general car buying public if they also face draconian restrictions on diesel cars entering certain urban environments together with hikes in diesel fuel duty and car licencing at the same time ----- which would appear increasingly likely? a classic government tactic to alter people's behaviour bribery and coercion :dk:

Last edited:
That amount of money would be fantastic against my car...but I need a replacement that will do a 400 mile round trip in a day. Clearly that rules out electric and I don't really want to drive something extremely eco-focused as it needs to be a reasonable size and decently comfortable.

That amount of money would be fantastic against my car...but I need a replacement that will do a 400 mile round trip in a day. Clearly that rules out electric and I don't really want to drive something extremely eco-focused as it needs to be a reasonable size and decently comfortable.

You'll not get £8500 against your car...it'll be tiered.

Why not take the cash given to buy a newer lower emission diesel?

I can't see any government giving away 8/10 k on an old car without getting it back from elsewhere, probably massive hikes in road tax and fuel duty rises on all fuels, it'll be the same old story, give with one hand, take it back with the other.Something for nothing? I don't think so?

How much pollution is caused making the 'new' car is that being offset!

How much pollution is caused making the 'new' car is that being offset!
I would offer it's only a valid arguement if these cars were not going to be made anyway? I don't think Mercedes are going to stop their car production lines any time soon? Surely all this will do is encourage them to make petrol or electric cars rather than diesels? The issue to be addressed is a localised one concerning medically identified harmful diesel emissions from increased vehicle populations in urban environments. This rather than the much bigger issue of the use of fossil fuel energy in the mass production of consumer goods and the apparent necessity of product redundancy to sustain that economic model. :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom