Diesel Software Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have no specific knowledge on this subject but if I was the decision maker at a main dealer, then I would not apply a software update on a car with a fault unless diagnostics had confirmed that the update would be the right next step to resolve the issue.

The reason being that software updates are very rarely reversible and if the customer claims that the update made the issue worse then the dealer can’t put the vehicle back to how it was, and would end up having to diagnose the fault to prove that the update wasn’t the cause. Lose lose.

Much better to start with a healthy car. Come to think of it, reputable tuners also check to make sure that a car is healthy before remapping the ECU.

I would ask my preferred workshop to diagnose the issue, rather than ask them to apply the update. The issue you’re experiencing may not require an update, so better to spend money on diagnosis rather than updates. If the fix is to apply the update then they can do that whilst the car is hooked up to the diagnostics equipment.

Ironically every other post I have read on the subject have wanted to avoid the diesel update, or reverse it once it has been applied.

Ouch, I'm almost feeling as smug as I am sympathetic that I recently bought my W124 TD250 estate for less than £250 that blissfully has nothing to plug into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom