Diesel Software Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dilbow

Car
Ml350
Took my ML350 to the dealer for the diesel software update. Was told they could not perform the update because the MIL light is on. They did a check, charged me £259 and said another £1200 to put a fault right before they can do the update. Surely they have to do whatever it takes to get the update done? If anyone has had a similar issue I would be grateful to know how you resolved it.

I suspect it requires the newer Nox sensors BEFORE an update can be carried out.

I suspect it requires the newer Nox sensors BEFORE an update can be carried out.
Thanks-but would that not be part of the recall work?

In normal circumstances I wouldn't. But- if there is a recall surely they have to do whatever it takes to complete it.

I am not unsympathetic to your satiation. But you raise an interesting question.

Let's consider this hypothetical scenario: let's say that your car is currently undriveable for an unrelated reason. Will MB be expected to tow the car to the garage to have the software update applied? Or dispatch a mobile tech to your home address?

I don't know the legal answer, but it's a good question - what amount of additional effort can MB realistically be expected to do in order to meet their legal obligation to update the software?

I am not unsympathetic to your satiation. But you raise an interesting question.

Let's consider this eventuality: your car is currently undriveable for an unrelated reason. Will MB be expected to tow the car to the garage to have the software update applied? Or dispatch a mobile tech to your home address?

I don't know the legal answer, but it's a good question - what amount of additional effort MB can realistically be detected to do in order to meet their legal obligation to update the software?
Thanks again. Very grateful for the input. The point you make is a good one. It would indeed be interesting to know where their liability ends. As they are telling me the fault prevents the update I do not personally see it as unrelated. If they were to do the update and then I could address the fault I would have no complaint. I gather from other posts thay the fault I have with the Adblue has often been solved with the software update, which is why I wanted that completed first.

Wait a minute, they charged you £259 to do what then....?

I agree with the position that they need not fix the car at their cost before they do the update though.
Thats down to you (unfortunately), unless you're okay with the MIL on and not having the update.....

Wait a minute, they charged you £259 to do what then....?

I agree with the position that they need not fix the car at their cost before they do the update though.
Thats down to you (unfortunately), unless you're okay with the MIL on and not having the update.....
Appreciate your point of view and that is exactly what I was looking for. I simply wanted the software update done first as I read that it sometimes corrects the fault I have. The £259 was to diagnose the fault. If they had completed the update it may not have been necessary.

If you believe that a software update may fix the problem... you can still have the software update done at an indie, for a fee (which presumably is what you would have done if there was no recall?).

It seems to me that the 'chicken and egg' situation you find yourself in, is because you are trying to benefit from the free software update to fix your problem, but MB won't apply it unless the problem is fixed first.........

£259 for half an hour on a STAR...?
Wow.
You do at least have a report on what exactly what the problem is now (don't you...?)

So time to get to a good indi and see what the saving on labour can be

If you believe that a software update may fix the problem... you can still have the software update done at an indie, for a fee (which presumably is what you would have done if there was no recall?).

It seems to me that the 'chicken and egg' situation you find yourself in, is because you are trying to benefit from the free software update to fix your problem, but MB won't apply it unless the problem is fixed first.........
You have summed up my situation precisely. I think a visit to the Indie is in order. I did not expect the fault to prevent the update - so would indeed have had the fault done at the Indie if it was still there after the update.

£259 for half an hour on a STAR...?
Wow.

I would hope that the £259 was for more than half an hour on sta - and that it resulted in an accurate determination of the issue.

I would hope that the £259 was for more than half an hour on sta - and that it resulted in an accurate determination of the issue.
Apparently they checked some wiring, though looking at my receipt the fault had been diagnosed on Star-so not sure what they were trying to achieve.

I assume the software update changes you refer to will be associated with Mercedes failure to achieve adequate NOx levels during certain parts of the emissions tests. This involves changes to the ECU software to reduce NOx levels to achieve the initial targets set by the regulatory bodies. To achieve this the NOx reduction system must be working properly of course. I assume also that the dealer will be recompensed by MB for this operation ["free " to the owner of course] but in order to get their money I assume they will run a before and after test to prove to MB they have carried this out. If the ad blue system has a fault this would not be possible despite any software upgrade and the dealer would not get their recompense--- no results /provenance available? Unless your car still under warranty I expect you would have to pay for the repair 1st to have a fully operational NOx reduction system followed by the software update.

I assume the software update changes you refer to will be associated with Mercedes failure to achieve adequate NOx levels during certain parts of the emissions tests. This involves changes to the ECU software to reduce NOx levels to achieve the initial targets set by the regulatory bodies. To achieve this the NOx reduction system must be working properly of course. I assume also that the dealer will be recompensed by MB for this operation ["free " to the owner of course] but in order to get their money I assume they will run a before and after test to prove to MB they have carried this out. If the ad blue system has a fault this would not be possible despite any software upgrade and the dealer would not get their recompense--- no results /provenance available? Unless your car still under warranty I expect you would have to pay for the repair 1st to have a fully operational NOx reduction system followed by the software update.
Thank you for the response which is really helpful. May have been helpful if the dealer had explained it like that-and told me so before I took the car in. I would have had the repair done at an Indie garage then before taking it to the dealer for the upgrade. Thanks again-I am new to the forum and everyone is so helpful.

Unfortunately the Star system knows what sensors are fitted to the car, if they are the old type, it will not allow the update to proceed as the old sensors are not compatible. Sometimes you have to change the cars data card to have 30o code too.

Why would you want the diesel upgrade?
I took mine in for a different recall and refused that upgrade as it will lower your mpg and probably performance.
There were no issues and they fully understood why.

Unfortunately the Star system knows what sensors are fitted to the car, if they are the old type, it will not allow the update to proceed as the old sensors are not compatible. Sometimes you have to change the cars data card to have 30o code too.

So what happens then? The dealer will replace the sensors FOC so that they can carry-out the mandatory software update?

Thanks. I did not realise that the sensors were changed too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom