Diesel to the max?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
In the pub with a friend last night, he was in awe of his (investment bankers) brothers tiguan r line TDI 240 -whats £40k to a chap in that business

Not a fan of VW at all, but squeezing 240 from a 2.0 TDI is impressive

"Its injector pumps fuel it at a pressure of 2500 bar and the 200 bar combustion pressures call for a bespoke cylinder head and head gasket that can clamp it to the block without bursting"

How far can they go with diesels?

PS, I wouldn't want to discover a manufacturing flaw with 2,500 bar in front of me. :eek:

240bhp? You get more than that from a 1995cc petrol lump (with a turbo); obviously there's less torque.

It's good but not impressive when you consider the GM TTid (commonly found in the Saab 93),remapped to 240hp. That engine design is also pretty old by today's standards.

2,500 bar is more than 36,000 lbs per sq inch, of force, I'm always amazed at just how these sort of pressures are contained, a veritable bomb!

240 PS from the factory sounds remarkable to me for a 2.0 litre diesel. That's territory usually occupied by the lower output 3.0 litre diesels.

2,500 bar is more than 36,000 lbs per sq inch, of force, I'm always amazed at just how these sort of pressures are contained, a veritable bomb!

This is the element that surprises me more

I am out of touch with BHP from 'top end' diesels per sae, but the engineering numbers behind it all I can relate more to

Its all about energy. Energy its pressure x volume difference (compression). Therefore low pressure pneumatic systems may be very dangerous when cubic meter of air is compressed few bars, delta V is very big. In common rail original volume is very small and fuel does not compress much, so actual energy is easily smaller. True that high pressure fluid has high capability to penetrate/cut things in case of leak.

I think newest common rails go up to 3000 bars already

I engineered this little car a decade ago;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCB_Dieselmax

As the Irish man was heard to say " If I was going there, I wouldn't be starting from here!"
But... we were asked to produce a Landspeed record breaking car using diesel engines which were normally producing just a little over 100bhp in a digger.
With a little development and and increase in capacity from 4 to 5 litres they ended up with about 750bhp....each:eek:

The 2 litre engine in my Audi A6 is mildly tuned and runs a comfortable 235bhp, much the same as a Mercedes 3 litre V6 from a few years ago, but still gets 60mpg:eek:

The major motor manufacture's are only just beginning to tap the potential of the diesel engines

Mactech said:
I engineered this little car a decade ago;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCB_Dieselmax As the Irish man was heard to say " If I was going there, I wouldn't be starting from here!" But... we were asked to produce a Landspeed record breaking car using diesel engines which were normally producing just a little over 100bhp in a digger. With a little development and and increase in capacity from 4 to 5 litres they ended up with about 750bhp....each:eek: The 2 litre engine in my Audi A6 is mildly tuned and runs a comfortable 235bhp, much the same as a Mercedes 3 litre V6 from a few years ago, but still gets 60mpg:eek: The major motor manufacture's are only just beginning to tap the potential of the diesel engines
Do you work for Ricardo?

In the pub with a friend last night, he was in awe of his (investment bankers) brothers tiguan r line TDI 240 -whats £40k to a chap in that business

Not a fan of VW at all, but squeezing 240 from a 2.0 TDI is impressive

"Its injector pumps fuel it at a pressure of 2500 bar and the 200 bar combustion pressures call for a bespoke cylinder head and head gasket that can clamp it to the block without bursting"

How far can they go with diesels?

PS, I wouldn't want to discover a manufacturing flaw with 2,500 bar in front of me. :eek:

Can't stop laugh some people got more money than sense ,spend all that money to be overtaken by w124 that used 1/4 of that budget.
My 2.1 vito is very close to that just with a remap...
Mug springs to mind...

240 bhp/ 2.0 TDi an excellent result and all good and dandy while covered by the manufacturer's warranty. I think the same applies to the latest generation of 2.0l turbo petrols, knocking out over 300 bhp. I for one will not be in the market for a five year old A45, sadly.

Last edited:
I was just thinking out loud, but why would anybody want a 240 bhp diesel VW Tiguan anyway...

Do you work for Ricardo?

Ricardo developed the engines. I'm an independant performance engineer....I just have to get it all to work together when the car is on it's wheels.;)

Here's another laugh, while I'm at it.

The R Line lists @ £40k and 45k with fancy paint, spray on leather plus a few options.

Fiona's 123d was a 2 litre diesel, that was 265hp.

123d_graph.jpg

Very impressive instantaneous power figures! :cool:
It’s a graphic illustration of why ‘seamless shift’ gearboxes have become standard in F1 and Moto GP and why it is so important to have control of both intake and exhaust temperatures. After just 10 seconds, the average bhp is about 210.
There is a lot of very clever 'self defence' software in most ECU's;)

Here's another laugh, while I'm at it.

The R Line lists @ £40k and 45k with fancy paint, spray on leather plus a few options.

He is an Investment Banker.......
I don't know him from Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom