Diesel van advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve had 3 new Transits over the years with the newest one being a 55 plate bought with 6 miles on the clock. It was rubbish!!
I had an 11 plate Renault Trafic last year for 3 months and it ran very well despite the 120,000 on the clock, I liked it quite a lot. I don’t know if it had big money spent on it though.

Because my business is new I think I’ll go down the Berlingo/variant or Transit Connect for under £4000 and then see where things go. As long as it’s tidy and runs well I’ll be happy. I’ve already got a PLR private plate (Pro Lead Roofing) and it’ll be nicely sign written.

Let’s hope they don’t expand the ULEZ for a while. 🤞

PS, I don’t understand why van prices are so high. There’s bloody millions of them for sale.
A trader bought our Trafic saying he couldn't get enough vans to sell. Apparently they're in big demand as many people are turning to delivering parcels as a way of making a living thus buying vans as their tool of choice, makes sense I suppose

David the grant for the home charging point has now ended - it was a bit of a con anyway as the prices of installs seemed to have increased by £350 when the grant was introduced 🙄 - so the only people actually benefiting were the installers themselves….
How strange, who would have thought it! 🤔🤣🤣🤣

A trader bought our Trafic saying he couldn't get enough vans to sell. Apparently they're in big demand as many people are turning to delivering parcels as a way of making a living thus buying vans as their tool of choice, makes sense I suppose
Makes a lot of sense but it’ll be interesting to see what happens if the ULEZ is extended (in London obviously).

When looking for a stand in for the Viano I was looking at car based vans, I realise the actual estates were cheaper and with more toys. They being Astra.
So then I'm looking at Astra estates and considered that the 211 was about the biggest estate available.
£2,700 and with more toys and space than an Astra could ever provide.

Prices have gone skyward so that price looks like it wont be repeated so easily, but it might be a thought. Admittedly it doesn't have the hi roof if that's what you need.
I know what you mean.

A petrol Volvo estate could be quite cool and I wouldn’t have to worry about ULEZ. I suppose I could tint the rear side and tailgate glass??

Edit.. f**k that, have you seen the price of them??

I know what you mean.

A petrol Volvo estate could be quite cool and I wouldn’t have to worry about ULEZ. I suppose I could tint the rear side and tailgate glass??

Edit.. f**k that, have you seen the price of them??
That sounds like an excellent compromise if it wasn't for the inflated prices.

Will you be carrying much Lead or is it generally delivered to site?

Last edited:
Has a box trailer been a consideration?
Too much faff, I’ve not seen it done before so there’s a reason for it, I’m crap at reversing and I can’t put a tow bar on my Porsche.

Last edited:
Will you be carrying much Lead or is it generally delivered to site?
When I’ll be needing a vehicle I won’t be carrying more than 200kg of lead. Any more then I can get it delivered.

I’ve got a triple, a double and a roof ladder that weigh a no more than 100kg. The advantage of a Volvo estate is that it’s a long vehicle meaning it’s good for putting ladders on.

Last edited:
When I’ll be needing a vehicle I won’t be carrying more than 200kg of lead. Any more then I can get it delivered.

I’ve got a triple, a double and a roof ladder that weigh a no more than 100kg. The advantage of a Volvo estate is that it’s a long vehicle meaning it’s good for putting ladders on.
Why not just get an E class estate then? w211s are cheap….

There’s an electrician round our way uses his 15 plate Audi RS4 estate for his work.

😊 As I got to eBay. 👍👍

What years am I looking at and are they mostly diesels??

What about a Saab actually?? This one’s not too far from you (Hillingdon) could be worth a look if it’s something you like

What about a Saab actually?? This one’s not too far from you (Hillingdon) could be worth a look if it’s something you like

Handyman bloke opposite has one of those. Nice looking cars.

A poll.
E Class estate
Saab estate
Volvo V70

Handyman bloke opposite has one of those. Nice looking cars.

A poll.
E Class estate
Saab estate
Volvo V70
The issue with the E estate is like you say most are diesel, the petrols are either the E200 1.8 Kompressor (which isn’t a great engine in terms of reliability I’ve been told??) and the E500 V8 - lovely but £££ the cheapest on AT was £6.5k

Hence I thought of the Saab…

The issue with the E estate is like you say most are diesel, the petrols are either the E200 1.8 Kompressor (which isn’t a great engine in terms of reliability I’ve been told??) and the E500 V8 - lovely but £££ the cheapest on AT was £6.5k

Hence I thought of the Saab…
I’d love to scoot about the ghetto in a V8 Merc with my ladders on the roof and welding bottles in the back. 😏😏

😊 As I got to eBay. 👍👍

What years am I looking at and are they mostly diesels??
I thought you were concerned about the expansion of ULEZ at a later date.
Meantime the thoughts were to buy cheaper to see how thing work out.

With Sad Khan doing what he's doing I see you buy a cheap diesel, a less economical and higher tax petrol, or stump up for an EV.
Available choice not the ideal is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom