Diesels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well it is up to people to decide just what will happen in the next 10/15 years,when you start looking at all the vehicles that will still be using diesel in that time period,like trucks, trains and buses and of course shipping,I think you can see that cars will still be about running diesel,we then get to just what is the aim of governments,many are being led by some green ideas,but the worlds pollution problems is completely out of the hands of western governments,and the far east is quiet rightly saying hey you had your industrial revolution we are having ours now.
For example China is the single largest auto market currently and they have gone EV in a big way. They are also commissioning new Hydro plants 1 every week.

I think you'll find the change-over from diesel will happen much quicker than most imagine, and it's all being driven by running costs.

Fully electric ferries are now operating in Scandinavian waters, Mearsk the largest shipping company in the world have declared they will be phasing in electric power, more and more EV buses are seen right now around the world; articulated lorry tractor units are currently being produced by Tesla, Volvo and Mercedes. All the transport firms are studying the running cost data very carefully.

The world is changing, the decisions have been made. Whether we agree or not, within 5 years the world will be a quieter, cleaner place to live and breath.

Diesels will disappear eventually but the high mileage business user and commercial vehicles will be the last to go.

Funnily enough I noticed a few months ago that VW had already re-introduced petrol engines on the Transporter range in the UK.

The current economic advantage of electric vehicles is founded on very favourable taxation i.e. almost none and can't last. If 60-70% of tax was added as per diesel that would even the playing field some.

I love my old mk1 avensis diesel. Tusty, stupidly reliable, surprisingly punchy, 60 mpg everywhere and not fussy about parking it. Not sure I would chance a newish diesel unless under warranty.

I suspect the opposite will happen. If EV's proliferate as I expect, companies will be looking for ways to reduce their fleet costs and will move over to EV on purely cost-saving grounds.
If a company buys an EV (or plug-in) it can offset the full purchase price against corporation tax in the current tax year. If it buys a big diesel it can only offset 8% per year. So on a £ 40k plug-in it saves £ 7,600 and on a big diesel £ 608.

The world is changing, the decisions have been made.

The tipping point won't involve cars. It will involve vans and HGVs and passenger vehicles. Unlike cars these are utilised heavily and are heavier.

EVs have been just around the corner my entire life. They are sort of usable - but if that means Tesla that also means a huge cost. Cheap EVs currently don't work quite so well. EV charging will cause a bit infrastructure problem if there is a big switch.

Whether we agree or not, within 5 years the world will be a quieter, cleaner place to live and breath

You're too much of an optimist. 'the world' consists of a lot more people than live in the west - and over the next 5 years may more will gain access to the roads using non-EVs. China is an easily quoted example if you want interesting numbers - but bear in mind they still have a huge population that doesn't have cars - and these are not rich people - we tend to hear about the wealth growth of the middle classes in the cities.

Things will change - even in 5 years - the thing to look for the point at which EVs to make inroads into commercial vehicle sector. This will be the start of the real decline of diesel.

Is there a Diesel electric option in a modern car or are they all petrol electric - if you need to travel 400 km/s in one stretch...?

Is there a Diesel electric option in a modern car or are they all petrol electric - if you need to travel 400 km/s in one stretch...?

The new E300de is a diesel PHEV. We have one in the showroom at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was buying brand new, I wouldn't be considering a diesel. Purely as, like has been said there is a steer away from it despite it still having a use at the moment. I also suspect that there are still many less informed car buyers who will also still buy diesels for short journeys and have no clue about the London ULEZ and it means.

Well for me I still have an old school diesel (W211 3.2 I6) and at the moment it's going no where. It's not worth very much. I do 13,000 motorway only miles per year and it's ideal for that. I will replace it with another more modern diesel when the time comes but again one that has lost 85% of it's depreciation and done 80k+.

As for electric, well my V8 isn't going anywhere so I'm not spending the money on a Tesla etc. Until they can do 400-500 miles on a charge and I can get a used one for £12k it's not feasible. Also as mentioned the infrastructure is simple not there for cars to all become electric. Whether that's available charge points or the actual electricity needed to charge them.

Would you mind posting a link to the ad page for this...?

Karl do you have one of your famous blubs about new models for this one...?

Last edited:
I’m not too worried about it. It’s going to be quite some time before diesel cars are no longer a sight on our roads. My BMW 330d M Sport is the perfect all rounder, I bought it from a BMW dealer in June last year knowing that diesel cars are having a bit of a rough time but it still didn’t put me off paying good money for it. I’d quite happily buy another used diesel in the future. It’s not something that is necessarily concerning me as the infrastructure just isn’t in place for electric vehicles. It’s going to be a decade or so before any hint of the infrastructure being ready for the demand..

Diesels will be around for at least the next 10-15 years. Any new car sold now should at least last that long, my B Class is currently 12 years old and still going well. Many people can’t afford to buy new and the second hand market is still going strong with low road tax on many diesels.

I think that pre EU6 diesel cars will be legislated off the road before they phase out naturally. A significant part of the problem we have now is that people (including me with a 9-year old Golf TDI) drive around in ageing diesel cars that are perfectly viable cars but are nevertheless essentially gross polluters for NOx.

On the plus side, the current trend is for removing Diesel engined-cars from city centres, but in all likelihood they will continue to be used in smaller towns and in rural areas for years to come (and not just by farmers using their Land Rovers to get around the fields...).

I've done a 1000 miles this week in my E320cdi at 43mpg just going backwards and forwards across the country on the M62. It's the right tool for that job.

If I drive into Manchester centre which is about 13 miles from me, I take the little Polo because it will do 45 mpg in stop start town and it much cleaner emissions wise. A big diesel is still a fine proposition as long as you use wisely and you have access to a small petrol or EV as a short-haul / city car.

On the plus side, the current trend is for removing Diesel engined-cars from city centres, but in all likelihood they will continue to be used in smaller towns and in rural areas for years to come (and not just by farmers using their Land Rovers to get around the fields...).
Interestingly, every time I go into town centres, in my case Bath and Bristol, all of the public transport is at least 15 years old. Replacement costs would be prohibitive if Diesel engines vehicles were “dumped”

Diesels will be around for at least the next 10-15 years. Any new car sold now should at least last that long, my B Class is currently 12 years old and still going well.

My 11 year old Vito was going well till it racked up repair bills of £6.5k in under 12 months! A few bills for new turbo, EGR, MAF, DPF, etc. could potentially exceed the value of an older EU4 diesel now. I wouldn't want to own a 10-15 year old EU6 - IMHO they have the potential to become a serious money pit unless covered by warranty.

Interestingly, every time I go into town centres, in my case Bath and Bristol, all of the public transport is at least 15 years old. Replacement costs would be prohibitive if Diesel engines vehicles were “dumped”

Petrol isn't an option for larger passenger vehicles.

It is possible - both technically and economically - in some cases to upgrade older buses. Persuading operators to modify their vehicles can be part of the ULEZ strategy.

....... I wouldn't want to own a 10-15 year old EU6 - IMHO they have the potential to become a serious money pit unless covered by warranty.
That is a worry.... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom