Diet starts today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
S.W. 15.1
Week 6 13.2
Put 1lb on this week, but I did have a good Birthday meal at the weekend, so I'll live with that. :)

Despite the Ciara storm thing that cancelled the main event in central London, I went out with 24 other local fundraisers and did a local 10k route instead.

Was delighted to do it in 55 mins, 5 mins faster than my previous effort 2 years ago.
Well done. My wife was also disappointed to miss the London Winter Run so went out locally for the 10k a couple of days later. She also achieved an improvement to 55 mins, but wasn’t impressed with my suggestion that it must have been a tail wind. I’m still in recovery!

The only benefit of being lactose intolerant is that I don’t bother with diets.

If I’ve put a couple of lbs on I just have a cup of tea and off I trot to trap 2 ;)

Going back on me 3 meal replacement drinks a day.

Is that sensible? It is hardly a balanced diet and we need more than powder and water.

Put 2lbs on this week, starting to sneak up again.

Shouldn't you be identifying now where the weight gain is coming from within a regular diet and making the necessary adjustment(s)?

Is that sensible? It is hardly a balanced diet and we need more than powder and water.

Shouldn't you be identifying now where the weight gain is coming from within a regular diet and making the necessary adjustment(s)?
Faddy diets and chasing the numbers is a fool's errand.

Lifestyle changes work long term.

I've stopped losing weight because I've stopped reining things in mid-week. Worse than that, I have had quite a few work-related nights out and a few other socials.

Running is still going well, though, as is cardio fitness.

Fat but fit :)

On holiday but hit the gym for the first time in 2 years on Sunday and back again this morning, taking it easy 30 mins on running machine to get started. Small gym and no rowing machines which I like, however after another week we are off to a hotel with very hi tech facilities so at least I should be getting into the swing of it! Will check weight next week, started at 13st 2 lbs but have no intention of worrying about food other than trying to eat plenty of salad and seafood and not too much carbs, beer is allowed in moderation.

Diet continues....

Thank god I don't have access to scales.

And Diet moves to another "excuse" tomorrow, with the start of Lent.

Still no alcohol or visible sugar, and 14,000 steps a day, of which two thirds are brisk.

Faddy diets and chasing the numbers is a fool's errand.

Lifestyle changes work long term.
The chef Tom Kerridge made an interesting point regarding weight loss and adopting a "balanced diet" which may be complete rubbish, but certainly sounds logical.

His premise was that he became grossly overweight by following a very skewed diet, not a balanced one. So to lose weight, rather than shifting immediately to a "balanced diet" he first adopted a differently skewed diet that delivered weight loss which he then shifted over time to something that's more generally accepted as balanced.

There was a recent article on "Trust Me, I'm A Doctor" about a certain type of balanced meal-replacement which just needed water.

It actually provided the same intake as the equivalent balanced "real" meal.

However, the makers advised it was not aimed at a permanent replacement but rather for "when required".

He struggled as drinking a shake lost some of the other aspects of eating like enjoyment of food and the taste.

That said, my personal view is the simplest way forward is to follow a balanced "real" meal whilst increasing physical activity.

Sadly Fat Boy Kerridge is a poor leader for the public. His obsessive attitude to food (and exercise) will see him dead in his Sixties, and more likely sooner than that.

Yes, you bring weight down by obsessive reduction, but you have to be able to eat healthily after the weight is lost. Drinking and eating unhealthily will continue to just make you fat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a recent article on "Trust Me, I'm A Doctor" about a certain type of balanced meal-replacement which just needed water.

It actually provided the same intake as the equivalent balanced "real" meal.

However, the makers advised it was not aimed at a permanent replacement but rather for "when required".

He struggled as drinking a shake lost some of the other aspects of eating like enjoyment of food and the taste.

That said, my personal view is the simplest way forward is to follow a balanced "real" meal whilst increasing physical activity.

Yep, only wear the stookie while the limb is broken. After that, retrain the limb.

Sadly Fat Boy Kerridge is a poor leader for the public. His obsessive attitude to food (and exercise) will see him dead in his Sixties
In January my wife and I attended an event where Tom was interviewed. I very quickly formed the opinion that he was a driven man with an addictive personality. A fantastically talented chef who I fancy, like you, will not live to see old age which will be sad. One of those "brightest stars burn out soonest" people.

To paraphrase Kingsley Amis, better to die in your 60's inflagrante with a floozie or your spouse * and a stiff whisky on the bedside table, than in your 80's, sat in a wet armchair, wondering what day it is, in an old folks home in Weston Super Mare.

(Apologies to inhabitants of Weston-Super-Mare and experts on the writings of Kingsley Amis, but "you get my drift.")

* delete as applicable.

Last edited:
To paraphrase Kingsley Amis, better to die in your 60's inflagrante with a floozie or your spouse * and a stiff whisky on the bedside table, than in your 80's, sat in a wet armchair, wondering what day it is, in an old folks home in Weston Super Mare.

(Apologies to inhabitants of Weston-Super-Mare and experts on the writings of Kingsley Amis, but "you get my drift.")

* delete as applicable.

I can relate to 2 of the above but I decline to say which :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom