Diet starts today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its freezing here in Philadelphia so I went off a run in the gym. Did 10k.

Shame about the massive steak & cheese sandwich I had out on the town last night. Er....and the beers.

Exercise for Fitness.

Eat for...Networking.

Understand the good fats point, and I agree that that "free" second version is a worse option than the first.

I'm just saying that I'm better off with neither, because after a 400 calorie handful of nuts, I'll still want a sandwich for lunch or dinner.

Yeah they won't fill you up but then again fats can make you feel fuller for longer. Not too bad without carbs.

High blood pressure? Who has high blood pressure? I'm in my 60's - it's only tubbies who worry about high B.P.

Not only tubbies... high blood pressure is a worry for anyone with blocked arteries, fat or thin!

Fat people have a visual indicator they might have high blood pressure so in some ways they are better off.

Thin people who clog up their arteries usually find out the hard fatal way depending on which kind of heart attack they suffer.

Isn't the blood pressure monitor the best way to tell what your BP is ?

Point taken about cholesterol / stress / smoking and blocked arteries, but surely, in the UK these days, it's more usually fat people - and that's what this thread is about, isn't it?

Certainly the only people i've known - so far - to have died from heart attacks have gone as a result of hardened arteries from fat or smoking. And they all knew that they had elevated BP well before the event.

Isn't the blood pressure monitor the best way to tell what your BP is ?

Point taken about cholesterol / stress / smoking and blocked arteries, but surely, in the UK these days, it's more usually fat people - and that's what this thread is about, isn't it?

Certainly the only people i've known - so far - to have died from heart attacks have gone as a result of hardened arteries from fat or smoking. And they all knew that they had elevated BP well before the event.

Indeed but not everyone will be aware of the need to monitor BP or the significance.

I guess if you are in that situation and you are overweight, you are probably not going to have a good ultimate outcome.

I don't know the percentage split but I know I've seen plenty of people on "24 Hours in A&E" / "Helicopter ER" type programmes which I watch a lot who are not obviously fat suffering from a heart attack.

Bad foods can still cause plaque in the arteries to build up and eventually block regardless of your appearance i.e. you might be naturally thin.

Yep: first step if you want to reach 50. Get BP tested, and preferably buy a monitor.

I know thin athletic types who have died of heart attack or suffered strokes in their 40’s. Thin on the outside and fat on the inside. Especially cyclists, runners and stressy types.

I think the NICE guidelines will confirm it’s mainly a fat boy problem.

But yes: Brits should know what their BP’s are and modify diet accordingly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep: first step if you want to reach 50. Get BP tested, and preferably buy a monitor.

I know thin athletic types who have died of heart attack or suffered strokes in their 40’s. Thin on the outside and fat on the inside. Especially cyclists, runners and stressy types.

I think the NICE guidelines will confirm it’s mainly a fat boy problem.

But yes: Brits should know what their BP’s are and modify diet accordingly

I would think the majority probably are overweight but there are some people with a high BMI (which even GPs will admit is a bit of a crap system but it is the best quickest way to get through a simple message to the majority) who have stats better than the average so not in all cases.

I've seen a "Trust Me, I'm a Doctor" in the past where they lined up a range of different sized people based on their BMI.

Then they re-arranged them based on their stats.

The biggest person dropped to about the end of the first third of the line.

My guess it this person and others like him are bigger people to start with but don't necessarily have a poor health lifestyle.

That's where the BP stuff comes in. Everyone should monitor their BP regularly to keep pace with what is happening and avoid problems later. Probably the people who do take car of their cars too and resolve issues early on and don't stick their head in the sand.

3lbs lighter than the day before. 110 miles of slimy B-roads the reason. Nope, I don't understand it either but happens so often there must be something going on.

Back from Philly. Managed to avoid the worst of the excesses. Ate a fair amount of rubbish and drank more than I should have. But also did a couple of decent runs. I seem to be at about the same weight + managed my fastest time on the local Parkrun circuit today

My Saturday antics.

Cycle to Mill Hill Broadway 2km
Parkrun 5.02km
Cycle back to Mill Hill 18.59km
Cycle to pool 1.3km
Swim 1.4km
Cycle back home 1.3km
Power walk to pub 1.8km

My Saturday antics.

Cycle to Mill Hill Broadway 2km
Parkrun 5.02km
Cycle back to Mill Hill 18.59km
Cycle to pool 1.3km
Swim 1.4km
Cycle back home 1.3km
Power walk to pub 1.8km
Bl00dy Nora :eek:

Thanks. It’s a good way to lose the thick end of 1600 calories.

Lose 1600 calories?

I do that by refusing to go to the Taj Mahal for curry and three pints of Cobra on a Friday night.

Three-Stunning-New-COBRA-BEER.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom