Diff Filler Plug. Will not budge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c240yaz

MB Enthusiast
Tried to loosen Diff filler plug and drain plugs today to change oil. Neither will budge. Absolutely solid. The 14 mm hex tool I am using is a perfect fit in the drain plugs. An 8mm socket / ring spanner is used to fit on the hex tool.

Result, 2 x 8mm 3/8 drive sockets broken under leverage, 1 ring spanner bent and another split when using a bit of shock persuasion with a 2lb hammer.

Soaked with penetrating oil for 1 hour, same again. No movement.

Anyone got any ideas on how I am going to get these out ? :confused:

Hi

They can be tight main thing is loosen the fill before draining. I would try better quality tools a "T" bar with a pipe on it straight onto ur drain plug extraction tool.

I've got a 2ft 1/2" drive snap-on breaker bar and a 14mm hex socket driver for this purpose.

I think that if it's never been out before it'll be damn tight to say the least. You could try more penetrating oil and let it soak for a few more days before the next attempt :)

Will

If penetrating oil or diesel wont losen them try a bit of heat to expand the plug and casing then spray water on it to contract the plug.

I am surprised they wont shift though.

A little freezer spray (obtained from a plumbers merchant) is also an idea. Spray the plug with it, then attempt to remove.

Thanks everyone for quick response. Rather than mess around, I have just went ahead and ordered these parts on below links.

It really makes you wonder why Merc don't just fit a standard bolt type plug and copper washer, as in engine sump plug, rather than use this antiquated design from WW2 vehicles. The mind boggles over these simple things !

http://www.uktools.com/product_info.php?products_id=12505

and this

http://www.uktools.com/product_info.php?products_id=1162

And if this does not work, I'll drive a mile from the house, call the AA, and use my Relay membership to deliver the car to either 124 works, BlackC55, or other Indies workshop. Why not ? It's free delivery, been a member fo 7 yrs, never used it once (although it will cost me 2 tanks of fuel to get home and overnight accomodation, Travelodge ?).

Surprised that other members of this forum do not do this, instead of taking their pride and joy to the stealers and get ripped off, again.

I will do this the next time the car breaks down. Mark my words !!

Last edited:
I would just use a small blow torch (like the ones chefs use) to add a little heat.

It really makes you wonder why Merc don't just fit a standard bolt type plug and copper washer, as in engine sump plug, rather than use this antiquated design from WW2 vehicles. The mind boggles over these simple things !

A taper fit plug is a good idea for oil applications as the thread creates a really good seal with no washers required.

Never had a problem with one either on Merc or Fiat.

I would leave a problematic drain plug alone and get one of these on the grounds that whilst a damaged filler plug can be a pain, a knackered drain plug can present a true and enduring source of misery

http://www.uktools.com/product_info.php?products_id=3628&osCsid=319672dd1a3c14616695fefccd83dfa8

Penetrating Oil is always going to have a struggle with something that is designed as a oil seal and is still working. Apply in quantity but it may take some days to have any effect and even then only up to a point.

Coupled with heat/cold/impact loading it should come out though

I reckon with a decent amount of leverage (ie the 2ft breaker bar mentioned) it will come out.

What is the tightening torque spec out of interest?

Will

LAST RESORT MEASURE:
some time back I was changing the timing belt of my faithfull Clio and two miserable 8 mm screws where glued stiff and would not budge with any ammount of violence and cursing. I placed a large nut over each and soldered them carefully. They came off so easily as if they where finger tightened! It was the bloody glue that was used by a Renault dealer mechanic that created the situation. I believe the Merc diff plugs also have some sort of glue, so heating may destroy the bondage.

BTW - great post you did on ATF change.

Here is what both plugs looked like, before squirtin WD40 on them.

...and yes, the N/S/R drive shaft / diff seal is seeping oil. Not as bad as it looks, this can wait for another day.

Last edited:
I would leave a problematic drain plug alone and get one of these on the grounds that whilst a damaged filler plug can be a pain, a knackered drain plug can present a true and enduring source of misery

http://www.uktools.com/product_info.php?products_id=3628&osCsid=319672dd1a3c14616695fefccd83dfa8

Penetrating Oil is always going to have a struggle with something that is designed as a oil seal and is still working. Apply in quantity but it may take some days to have any effect and even then only up to a point.

Coupled with heat/cold/impact loading it should come out though
That looks a neat gadget. I never knew they existed on this smaller scale. As I've already ordered an 18" tommy bar and socket, I'll hold off meantime.

I've bookmarked this page in case of need. Thanks.

c240yaz
Are you using a spanner or socket on the smaller part of that tool in your picture, if so I'm not surprised you're having trouble. You need a beefier plug removal tool to get a decent spanner/socket onto.

c240yaz
Are you using a spanner or socket on the smaller part of that tool in your picture, if so I'm not surprised you're having trouble. You need a beefier plug removal tool to get a decent spanner/socket onto.
Initially used 3/8 drive sockets, that's all I had available, then ring spanners, all are now "deceased". My 1/2 inch drive socket went AWOL.

"Beefier" 1/2 drives tools now ordered. (See earlier post above). I will wait till they arrive before next attempt.

Last edited:
Loctite Freeze Release spray. A good 20 second burst of that stuff on the bolt and it'll soon shift.

I had similar problems with my drainer plug so I ended up just sucking the oil out of the filler plug as I could not get it to budge and didn't want to break anything.

Just one little tip, impact or shock work much better than just pulling, I have seen people wind a wheel spanner up by just pulling, where as one kick or stamp free it

Sometimes trying to do it up works, and will free it, like a screw in a door frame, do it up a touch and it releases the pressure on the thread

Just one little tip, impact or shock work much better than just pulling, I have seen people wind a wheel spanner up by just pulling, where as one kick or stamp free it

Sometimes trying to do it up works, and will free it, like a screw in a door frame, do it up a touch and it releases the pressure on the thread

Malcolm, I understand this fully from past. But thanks for reminding me. I ordered the tools on UK Tools website yesterday. 18" socket bar and 14mm plug. http://www.uktools.com/

Guy calls me today and said, sorry sir, were out of stock of the 18" socket bar. Will you accept a 24" at no extra cost ? :bannana:

What do you think my reply was ? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom