Diff oil change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndrewOl

Car
E350 A207
Hi, decided to change both diff oils and transfer box fluid in my 2006 GL with 170k miles on it. The job was pretty straightforward but I thought I would share the following:

1. Get an Allen socket set where the Allen heads come out of the socket as you will need to use a spanner rather than a 1/2” drive due to clearance.
2. Invest in a laser fluid pump from Halfords £18 well spent. Fits straight into 1 litre bottles and the little spout hooks into the fill ports perfectly.
3. I bought 3 litres diff oil and 2 litres transmission fluid from mb along with copper seals for the transfer box. Used it all bar a little transmission fluid.
4. Biggest pain was getting the steel under tray off and back on to get to the front diff.

The diff oil that came out looked in good condition as you would expect. Slightly discoloured and felt a little thinner. Same for the transfer box, much more colour change here, hard to detect any change in viscosity.

Cheers

Yes and remove filler plug first .If you drain off the oil first and you are then unable to renmove the filler plug what then ? So first check if fillerplug is easy to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom