Diff Replacement Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
After finally getting the damaged plugs out I've put some more 75 / 90 into the diff.
It has been making some noise and some vibration under acceleration, I think. It now seems improved some.
So I'm looking to totally replace.

Fuchs TITAN Gear Hyp 90 Hypoid Gear Oil GL5 80W-90 GL-5 80W90 4 Litres 4L 5031131237725 | eBay
This looks like the right stuff.
But I'm considering an additive to perhaps improve it further, assuming it has some wear at 123k miles.
Muscle Car ANTI-FRICTION Engine Gearbox Diff OIL ADDITIVE Ametech METAL-TEC10 | eBay

Any thoughts?

But I'm considering an additive to perhaps improve it further, assuming it has some wear at 123k miles
Any thoughts?

My thoughts are . .. If it has some wear, no additive is going to repair the wear.
The additive is unlikely to add much to a full diff-lube change.
I would be inclined to save my money.

Reactions: m80
The oil I'd use/recommend has a LWI of 77 and Weld Point of 400kg. Both are higher than all the compared additives in the linked page and is oil - not just raw anti-wear additive.
Proper oil or inferior oil dosed, I know which I prefer.

Reactions: m80
^^^^ Best oil is always the best thing. A full change should also get rid of any crud in there.

The oil I'd use/recommend has a LWI of 77 and Weld Point of 400kg. Both are higher than all the compared additives in the linked page and is oil - not just raw anti-wear additive.
Proper oil or inferior oil dosed, I know which I prefer.

Thanks for that, a link would be appreciated.

Thanks for that, a link would be appreciated.

This >> https://www.lelubricants.com/lit/flyers/1601-1610_1302_1304 New Duolec.pdf is the oil but it shows different results as it is a different test (not ASTM D2783-88) and the copy I have on file showing ASTM D2783-88 results - I don't know how to post here.

The oil is available in the UK, £28.65 / litre, MOQ 17.7 litres, delivery £20.00 (all excluding VAT). If interested, I'll put you in touch with who to speak to.
(NB, I don't benefit financially).

Imo I would avoid additives to be honest. I had a noisy diff on a sprinter once and I added some additive (I won't mention the manufacturer) after adding this the diff lasted no more than 40 miles and it was toast. As others have said just put in a good oil

I've put additives into various diffs in the past, but sadly concluded that once you hear noise associated with wear, you can't un-hear it.

This means that even if it does quieten things down a bit (which is possible) your brain has DSP'd it such that it's clearly audible.

It's the reverse principle to getting a test-drive in a new (used) car....everything seems so quiet because it's so much better/newer than your old one.

When you come to sell it, it just sounds like a rattly old tractor, because you've tuned-into all the varous noises.
Fortunately, the next owner probably hasn't .

There was an impoverished Autocar journalist once, that was given a company car because the old heap he owned made every car he drove sound as quiet as a Rolls and faster than a McLaren... Every Road test article he wrote contained nothing but gushing praise!

I've put additives into various diffs in the past, but sadly concluded that once you hear noise associated with wear, you can't un-hear it.

More pertinently - no oil can replace metal.
Best lubricant use is preventative not remedial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom