Difference between 1997 W202 and 1999/2000?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hiya,
Somebody wants to buy my 1997 W202 and I've spotted a 1999/2000 model I can buy to replace it. Not so sure about the differences. Both are champagne coloured with elegance trim. Mileage is 85K Km on the 1997 and 75K Km on the later model.

I've noticed that the gear looks abit different with 1 - 4 on the earlier model but +/- on the later one which also shows the gear setting on the dashboard.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

The face lifted cars are much better all round. More modern and less germanic looking. (if thats a word)

Lots of stuff moved from option to standard in '98. Your your '97 may have them anyway - but off the top of my head things like: rear electric windows, CC, AC, adjustable steering column. I think the parkers web site will give you a model history.

Definitely go for the facelift, IMO it looks better and it came with more standard features which probably would have been options on a pre-facelift.

Thanks guys, will comfortably sell my current model then.:bannana:

The face lifted cars are much better all round. More modern and less germanic looking. (if thats a word)
I agree, except facelift are more likely to rust!

If your 1997 is a facelift then at 1st glance you will not notice that much difference.

If it isnt the main things are bumpers with side 'lips', body colour sideskirts, no ariel, 3rd brakelight, slightly different bootlid (tiny lip spoiler and crease under numberplate). Inside you will have a boot release next to the gear surround and a more modern 'flat' key.

Late 1999 and 2000 models have Tiptronic boxes with a little indicator of which gear your in next to the dash clock, they also have ESP as standard.

Last edited:
I agree, except facelift are more likely to rust!

If your 1997 is a facelift then at 1st glance you will not notice that much difference.

If it isnt the main things are bumpers with side 'lips', body colour sideskirts, no ariel, 3rd brakelight, slightly different bootlid (tiny lip spoiler and crease under numberplate). Inside you will have a boot release next to the gear surround and a more modern 'flat' key.

Late 1999 and 2000 models have Tiptronic boxes with a little indicator of which gear your in next to the dash clock, they also have ESP as standard.

Thanks KH.
Rust? Hah, didn't check for that but nothing stood out so will have to check again. Well I ended up buying a 1999 Japanese model emerald (green)/black metallic colour instead of the one I'd initially wanted. The obvious differences?

1. folding outside rear view mirrors (yay! - important for crazy traffic here)
2. tv/dvd player installed (yay!)
3. slightly shorter bonnet (huh?)
4. passenger front seat not electrically adjustable (huh?)
5. leather seats (yay! not common on Japanese models)
6. bootlid as described above
7. electronic temperature control panel does not have 'knobs' (on all Japanese versions)
8. adjustable steering wheel (yay!)
9. sunroof (yay!)

Apart from '6', all the above changes mentioned by KH were on my 1997 but I'm happier with the 1999 model. Will find out more when it's delivered next week.

Thanks once again,
Hellene

Last edited:
This is a funny subject, but i have to say, from my personal experience, my 1995 C200 felt much better built than my current 1998 C230 Kompressor!

Slightly shorter bonnet? eh?

This is a funny subject, but i have to say, from my personal experience, my 1995 C200 felt much better built than my current 1998 C230 Kompressor!

Weird, Rust aside I think the complete opposite.

Thanks KH.
Rust? Hah, didn't check for that but nothing stood out so will have to check again. Well I ended up buying a 1999 Japanese model emerald (green)/black metallic colour instead of the one I'd initially wanted. The obvious differences?

1. folding outside rear view mirrors (yay! - important for crazy traffic here)
2. tv/dvd player installed (yay!)
3. slightly shorter bonnet (huh?)
4. passenger front seat not electrically adjustable (huh?)
5. leather seats (yay! not common on Japanese models)
6. bootlid as described above
7. electronic temperature control panel does not have 'knobs' (on all Japanese versions)
8. adjustable steering wheel (yay!)
9. sunroof (yay!)

Apart from '6', all the above changes mentioned by KH were on my 1997 but I'm happier with the 1999 model. Will find out more when it's delivered next week.

Thanks once again,
Hellene

Sounds like a high spec model, good find. What's the engine?

Post some pics when you get it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom