Difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You have all missed the main point of a turbo.
If you have one you can fit a silly dump valve so your Corsa sounds like a World Rally Car as you hammer it round the shopping precinct on your way to MacDonalds !

The video won't play here, but here is a photo of one of those engines - I think - isn't it Pontoneer...?

Yes , that's the chappie .

Try going into youTube and search for Mercedes W06

...Mind you, not as severe as the BMW 2002 turbo. Really low compression so no real power below 4000 rpm, then you went backwards through a hedge. Hardly any left as a consequence!

Which was not helped by an inherent tendency to oversteer, matched only by the 911 of the day...

The massive oversteer was carried-over 'successfully' well into the E30 before BMW decided to do something about it, and did a 180 degrees turn to become market leaders in suspension design and tuning (in the mass production car industry).

The 02 generally was not greatly prone to it, mine with 164 bhp never gave me a moments concern (well, it's hard to spin off the back of the recovery truck), but my 325i E30 was lethal.

Then as you say Mr Jay, BMW got it together, combining superb handling with excellent ride. Then they discovered run-flat tyres as you shouldn't have everything.

developer215 said:
I had one of these - straight line terrific, corners horrific :eek:.

Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had one of those too!!
What a bike :) like a rocket on the straights.
Also had the first 'colour' lcds I ever saw.
Which was cool. :)

I had a 1982 E21 323i and it was lethal the back end just had a mind of its own, the number of times it came round and tried to overtake the front end was unreal. Then when it rained you really took your life in your hands it was like driving on sheet ice in slicks

Great car though loved every minute of it and did some things in it (as you did in the eighties) that you wouldn't dare do now and I'm not going to post on a public forum but it's the first time I've ever been served a coke through the drivers window in excess of 125 mph :D

Incidentally a very safe car though it's demise came as it was hit head on at 70 mph by a Ford Transit pick up driven by an uninsured traveller, bonnet ended up over 70 meters from car and the only injury to me was a bruise on my chest from the seatbelt.

This is probably where my fondness for BMW comes from :thumb:

Love these threads, so full of mis-information it isn't funny.....well actually it is :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom