Difference between W204 C220 Blue Efficiency and C250 Blue Efficiency?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulybhoy

Hi. I have a 2009 W204 C220cdi Blue Efficiency Sport Estate which has the OM651 engine. I understand that this engine is also used in the rest of the range in the C200 and the C250 Blue Efficiency's. I was wondering if there was any differences other than engine software between the C220 and the C250?

Thanks for your help

Paul

The c250 is a sequential twin turbo, the c220 single turbo, amongst other things. There are plenty of hardware differences between the two, not just software. Unfortunately you won't be able to just "upgrade".

I think that the "Blue Efficiency "engines for C200, C220, C250 models are now all the same twin turbocharged, twin balancer shaft, rear valve drive train OM651 engine with varied factory tune specs . :dk: Its confusing because the previous C200 and C220 diesels were an earlier design of single turbo engines with the valve drive gear at the front. For a while there was an overlap of the 2 technologies just to keep people guessing.:confused:

http://paultan.org/2008/04/11/new-mercedes-benz-om651-twin-turbodiesel/

Yes Grober, your right m8. They have exactly the same Om651 engine, I was under the impression that it is only the software maps that are different. My car has 170hp standard with the C250cdi BE @ 204hp. I am interested in a remap sometime in the future and was wondering if I could get the same performance as a remapped C250 which I believe is around 220hp?

Anyone know?

Cheers

Paul

Thanks grober, I've seen this before. Looks good. As it's the same engine though I still haven't got the answer to, if I can jump to the maximum tune of 220hp though? If there's no difference in engine hardware, just the software maps, why not??

Thanks again

Paul

there are probably small differences - people write a lot about the VAG diesels - the earlier PD engines came in 90, 100, 105, 115, 130, 150 and later 160BHP versions - they were all fundamentally the same engine but the difference wasn't "just" software and mapping - the had slightly different parts - a slightly larger intercooler, larger (higher volume) injector nozzles, higher pressure pumps, revised injector timing etc - the higher powered ones had slightly larger turbos - so yes they may all be OM651 engines but there may still be slight differences.

I appreciate all this g4kerr. I wonder if there is someone with a definitive answer as to what the differences are?

My thanks again

Paul

Just thought I would update as its been a while. After talking to Mercedes whilst my car was in for it's service I have been informed that the engine (OM651) is the same throughout the Blue Efficiency range (C's and E's) and that it is only the software map that is different, all hardware is the same. Hope this helps anyone that stumbles across this tread for whatever reason, and if you have or are interested in a remap for our vehicle's please let me know your experiences as I have still not put the ball in motion to get this done. I'll post again in the future to let you know my outcome. Cheers

Paul

I think that the "Blue Efficiency "engines for C200, C220, C250 models are now all the same twin turbocharged, twin balancer shaft, rear valve drive train OM651 engine with varied factory tune specs . :dk: Its confusing because the previous C200 and C220 diesels were an earlier design of single turbo engines with the valve drive gear at the front. For a while there was an overlap of the 2 technologies just to keep people guessing.:confused:

New Mercedes-Benz OM651 twin turbodiesel

Is the C200 still a single turbo? It is as far as I am aware in the E Class.

I think it would be worth checking part numbers for turbo, injectors etc accross the range from c200 to c250

After googling mappers I came across this company showing before and after figures (see bottom of the table in the link). According to this it suggests there may be some differences in hardware however its not conclusive.

According to the MB website current C220cdi and C250cdi are twin turbo, but the C200cdi is single turbo.
Interestingly the 200cdi and 220cdi engines in the Aclass and CLA have the same power but significantly less torque than the respective C class engines which suggests the engines in these are both single turbo.

My c250 cdi is one quick diesel, 0-60 in 6.8 seconds which is the quickest diesel I've ever had! Looking to get it fully tuned up, but can you get an aftermarket turbo upgrade for it? Does anyone know?

And are there any decent performance exhaust's out for the c250 cdi ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom