Difference in W124 window switches?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

I have bought some new wood trim. I went to fit it today. However once I had dismantled the old part i noticed that:

the clips on the plastic that hold the window switches (and child lock) are not present on the new wood.

It appears i either need new switches or some sort of additional bracket. There appears to be a "new" clip on the side of each window hole... maybe this is something.

I'd appreciate any advice - the new wood cost me a fortune so i'd hate not to fit it!!!!

i've attached two pictures - one is the old wood that has the clips, and the 2nd is the new wood that doesnt.

cheers

derek

Attachments

• oldSwitch.JPG
    oldSwitch.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 90
  • NewSwitch.jpg
    NewSwitch.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 91
Hi

I have bought some new wood trim. I went to fit it today. However once I had dismantled the old part i noticed that:

the clips on the plastic that hold the window switches (and child lock) are not present on the new wood.

It appears i either need new switches or some sort of additional bracket. There appears to be a "new" clip on the side of each window hole... maybe this is something.

I'd appreciate any advice - the new wood cost me a fortune so i'd hate not to fit it!!!!

i've attached two pictures - one is the old wood that has the clips, and the 2nd is the new wood that doesnt.

cheers

derek

The early cars had different switches, the switches fitted into a frame and the wood went on top.

The later ones have the switches clipping into the wood.

The early cars had different switches, the switches fitted into a frame and the wood went on top.

The later ones have the switches clipping into the wood.

can you buy the frames?

The switches are different altogether.

I'll fetch some out in a moment and take a picture, you'll see what's involved then.

ok that would be great thanks. :)

ok that would be great thanks. :)

2970906709_469ae63e59_b.jpg

Late Switch

2971748930_6510c4b863_b.jpg

Early switch.

Note how the pins are in different places and the bottom of the switch is flat on the late ones and shaped on the early ones.

Thanks for that. Sounds like my easiest solution would be to carefully remove the plastic bracket off the wood and swap them over.... Probably glueing the plastic back on.....

if i have to swap the connectors for the switches, rather than just the swiches themselves it sounds the best/easiest and cheapest option.

Thanks for that. Sounds like my easiest solution would be to carefully remove the plastic bracket off the wood and swap them over.... Probably glueing the plastic back on.....

if i have to swap the connectors for the switches, rather than just the swiches themselves it sounds the best/easiest and cheapest option.

Before you do anything make sure the holes in the wood are the same shape, the older switches may be more square than the later ones, but I could not say for sure.

Before you do anything make sure the holes in the wood are the same shape, the older switches may be more square than the later ones, but I could not say for sure.

the switches fit in both (i tried) and look the same from above but on the new wood i have there was nothing to clip onto.

I'll try this tommorow and report back :)

OK, i decided to do it today.

To begin with, i used a thin chisel to prise the staples from the wood gently. And the plastic clip base is removed from the wood:

car004oo6.jpg

I then, used a towel and mole grips to force the staples back into the new wood on the sides. The towel was on the burr walnut side and then i GENTLY pressed them together.

For the staples on the inside, i used a mallet and a flat edge piece of metal (socket extension) to hammer down the rest of the staples, whilst the wood is face down on the towel on carpet. The wood is soft so they go in quite easily.

car005or2.jpg

car006eo5.jpg

:D :D :D

The result:

car007lp0.jpg

And finally fitted in the car (i still have to fit the surround, but will wait until next week when i get a chrome surround). Although the original black trim fits fine, the hole is slightly smaller, bringing it inline with W202 and W210 so I will get a nice chrome surround for here:

car008dn4.jpg

You deserve an award for perserverance well done. What are you doing with the old bit of wood - would be interested to see if it is possible to sand very lightly and re-lacquer?
By coincidence the gear selector display bulb has just blown in my car so will need to remove this trim I guess - a few bullet points on the procedure would be much appreciated whilst it is fresh in your mind. Thanks.

You deserve an award for perserverance well done. What are you doing with the old bit of wood - would be interested to see if it is possible to sand very lightly and re-lacquer?
By coincidence the gear selector display bulb has just blown in my car so will need to remove this trim I guess - a few bullet points on the procedure would be much appreciated whilst it is fresh in your mind. Thanks.

very easy to remove. If you have the glovebox between the seats, there are two self tappers at the very front inside.... unscrew these and the box lifts away. If you dont have the box, then just lift the carpet.... Then there is 1 self taper to remove.

Then just pull the wood up, undoing all the switches and you will be able to lift it away.

i will probably stick the old wood on ebay i guess. Its not that bad, just a bit scuffed with a few scratches.

Mods----Worth a move to the HOW TO section??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom