Differences between "E" and "S" with auto?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EJJTaylor

Car
Mercedes C250 CDI AMG
I have a C250 CDI auto 2015. My guess is E is for Eco mode and S is sport... Am I right?

One thing I have noticed however is I can have a almost 100% manual override (using either padals or stick) in E but not S... Surely if S was sport that would be the setting to have a manual over ride.
Don't get me wrong I can overide gear changes but it won't hold the revs at all, where E will let me red line and give me the choice to change?

Does anyone know the precise differance?

A little confused. Any help?

It certainly used to be Standard and Economy , with earlier upshifts in E , later part throttle kick downs etc .

Since yours is quite a new car , it will be an adaptive gearbox which will learn your style of driving and adapt over time . If you are still new to this car , the process will be ongoing .

It certainly used to be Standard and Economy , with earlier upshifts in E , later part throttle kick downs etc .

Since yours is quite a new car , it will be an adaptive gearbox which will learn your style of driving and adapt over time . If you are still new to this car , the process will be ongoing .

Thanks for the reply. If it is adaptive I will have to look more into that, as if I knew it was learning I would drive very Eco in E and more feisty in S.

Although still doesn't explain why I can have a more manual drive in E but not S.

don't you have the 7G tronic box, I'd have thought so, in which case you should have E, S and M (Eco, Sport and Manual). The sport setting should be set so that it will hold on to higher revs and quick change, Eco will obviously run lower revs, Manual speaks for itself and the flappy pedals kick in. None of them will let you go beyond redline and will override and shift, also will shift down and no stall.
As someone else said, the boxes are adaptive, so it may depend what has been done to the car before you got it! Does that help any?

^ Exactly right! Most of the time I drive my 7G in Eco as that works very well for everyday driving. I use S when I want to blast passed something or just have some fun! I've never used the paddles or put the car into manual mode as it always seems to know the best times to change up or down for my taste. :)

I'm with bpsorrel. Think I've used the M only a couple of times and E 99%
This gearbox does all the thinking for you...pleasure to drive.

In the States they did an acceleration test with an E350 petrol version in E and S mode and the times were virtually identical.

In the States they did an acceleration test with an E350 petrol version in E and S mode and the times were virtually identical.

Pretty sure the box will use S mode if you're applying max throttle?

don't you have the 7G tronic box, I'd have thought so, in which case you should have E, S and M (Eco, Sport and Manual). The sport setting should be set so that it will hold on to higher revs and quick change, Eco will obviously run lower revs, Manual speaks for itself and the flappy pedals kick in. None of them will let you go beyond redline and will override and shift, also will shift down and no stall.
As someone else said, the boxes are adaptive, so it may depend what has been done to the car before you got it! Does that help any?

I do have the 7 speed but it doesn't have the M... But does help a lot thanks.

Although still doesn't explain why I can have a more dominant manual override in E and not S....

Also with the adaptive gearboxes... When you reset can you reset and program between E and S?

I have the 7Gtronic box on my 221 and the paddle functions are exactly the same in E and S modes.

If you have no paddle use in S, I would think you have a problem. Maybe a trip to your local dealer would be a good idea ?

I have the 7Gtronic box on my 221 and the paddle functions are exactly the same in E and S modes.

If you have no paddle use in S, I would think you have a problem. Maybe a trip to your local dealer would be a good idea ?

I have paddle use, it's just not as responsive.

In my 7g e280 I have c/s/m but selecting m has no effect untill the car has come to a complete stop. Then it starts to work.

Just fyi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom