Different advice regards coloured pressed aluminium plates

• Thread starter Deletedmember148151
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So these are probably illegal too...

011.JPG

They are certainly illegal because of the font (and no maker's name etc.), but as there's no attempt to change the reg. or make it unreadable by ANPR I can't see them being a problem. They're the sort of thing that might get picked up if the car was pulled over or inspected for some other reason.

They are certainly illegal because of the font (and no maker's name etc.), but as there's no attempt to change the reg. or make it unreadable by ANPR I can't see them being a problem. They're the sort of thing that might get picked up if the car was pulled over or inspected for some other reason.

I would sooner change them than have any trouble, Thank you for your advice

Until 1 day/night, the cops are quiet needing some figures for the press or local government and then alls game, i had a plate the letters were 3mm smaller than the prescribed font (was bought as a legal plate) was on the car for 5+ years with no problems when 1 day out of the blue simply driving home from the cinema doing nothing wrong, bang £100 fine for a none conforming plate. They are all bastards

Surely not?

You wouldn't have got away with it for over 5 years if they all were.

Ok thats maybe a bit harsh, but i dont think very highly of them, but 3mm thats a bastard cop, he spoke complete nonsense in regards to the rules regarding number plates as well as his bully boy attitude. Jeez i was completely shocked when he said it was illegal and i was not being ****y to him just polite, a 21 day ticket to get it sorted thats fair but bang a fine thats just a touch harsh as i have always tried to keep all my cars as legal as i possibly can

Plates dont need all that stuff to be legal

IIRC they only started checking plates as part of the MOT last year. I think they only check the basics (not stuff like maker's name), but anything that might give ANPR a problem (creative use of bolts or odd fonts) should be a fail now.
Plates have been inspected to pass a certain criteria in an mot for years

Bought the reg and the metal plates, two and a half years ago, to commemorate a certain development in our country's political affiliation :p - I got bored with having my initials on a numberplate, so didn't transfer the old one back, when sold the car.

47375683912_3030d568be_o.jpg

33522978510_540dbfc78b_o.jpg

Fully legal, with all the marking, etc, and works perfectly well with ANPR ... including various parking systems, and at least one police mobile speed unit :rolleyes:

LOL ... It's a standard font, with printing (or as the case might be - pressing) margins for the outline.

Bought the reg and the metal plates, two and a half years ago, to commemorate a certain development in our country's political affiliation :p - I got bored with having my initials on a numberplate, so didn't transfer the old one back, when sold the car.

Fully legal, with all the marking, etc, and works perfectly well with ANPR ... including various parking systems, and at least one police mobile speed unit :rolleyes:

Can't see the BS Standard on it that are required to make it fully legal. Not that I would see that plate causing any reason for plod to take an interest in it as its close enough (IMO of course).

Bs mark isint required to be shown

Bs mark isint required to be shown
" To meet the British Standard, each number
plate must be permanently and legibly marked with the:
• British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
• name, trademark or other way of identifying the
manufacturer or supplier
• name and postcode of the supplying outlet."

DVLA INF104

Reactions: GLK
" To meet the British Standard, each number
plate must be permanently and legibly marked with the:
• British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
• name, trademark or other way of identifying the
manufacturer or supplier
• name and postcode of the supplying outlet."

DVLA INF104

IIRC there's some dispute about whether it's stated anywhere in law that plates actually have to meet the full British Standard spec.

IIRC there's some dispute about whether it's stated anywhere in law that plates actually have to meet the full British Standard spec.
Indeed, this from the MoT tester's manual
"You do not need to inspect the following items:
  • the supplier’s name
  • postcode
  • BS number
  • logos or emblems outside the minimum margin around the registration number"
That said every plate I have does have the above information present..

Doesn't law drive some, if not all, the requirements of the MoT?

Reactions: GLK
In the context of number plates, mostly not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom