Different Car - Different Reaction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
I just wondered how people find other drivers react to them depending no what car they're in?

Throughout my 20s I drove a variety of hot hatches and used to find other drivers bulled you out of the way. Even though they were quick cars, people would readily cut you up or try and push you along.

Since moving into saloons I've noticed there's a total change in terms of how people treat you driving it. Not sure if people assume it's quick or see it due to it's size but generally driving the E or CLS is uneventful.

By contrast I have noticed a difference driving my other half's SL350. It looks fast and I assume everyone thinks you'll drive it so but people tail gate the car far more than if I drive the E and yet my driving style is no different. :dk:

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed differences?

I find that folks move out of the way quicker when I am in my SL than when I am in my GT3 or when I had the CLS55

Whether in the van, the CL or the Porsche...never noticed any difference (or deference for that matter).

There's definitely a size/value thing, almost every trip in Lucy's Fiesta someone will try it on. Yet in the last 3 weeks I've been bimbling around in the old man's 3yo Hilux, not one person has dared to "pick a fight". When I had my Landcruisers, we would always take them to London as it was far less stressful; winch bumpers and rock sliders all round meant even black cabs and Addison Lee cars would keep their distance!

Road presence seems to go a long way, I rarely have any issues in the SL.

Last edited:
Driving my wife's Smart means everything tries to pass, no matter how quickly I am driving it. In my E class i never have this problem even if I am driving the same route 10 mph slower than I do in the Smart. I like to give the Smart a bit of stick just to annoy those who decide they must overtake the Smart however fast I am driving it.

There's a LOT of fragile egos on the road, combined with a perceived pecking-order. That explains 90% of the idiot driving we all see. The rest, well, who knows?

Sad but true, and it seems to be reasonably consistant across several countries. A psycologist's field-day...

When I used to commute to Heathrow, (which was hell, in case you wondered), I had a tatty old Senator, and didn't attract much attention. Maybe the odd Beemer wanted to out-drag me, but that was about all.
When I took the wife's Fiesta to work, I noticed other drivers were far more polite and prepared to give way. When I commuted in a (borrowed) Beemer, NOBODY wanted to let mo out of a side-road, which is just how it should be.

Behaviour very much as you would expect if you've been driving for a few years. Interestingly a very old article I read recently about traffic cops, found the only question they wouldn't answer was "do you treat drivers differently according to the cars they drive?".

Think that says it all.

We had a Hyundai Amica for a while and people really try to bully that out of their way (even if I've managed to get it up to 80mph); they also pull out in front of you.

The Nissan tends to attract boy racers (mostly driving Golfs) who seem to think that I'd race them on the public highway.

The CLK largely gets ignored. - Other German sedans don't try to get me out of their way, and boy racers don't try to race me.

The most interesting response is if you have a cage in your car. - People will suddenly decide that they don't want to try it with a car that has been caged and back-off.

...I read recently about traffic cops, found the only question they wouldn't answer was "do you treat drivers differently according to the cars they drive?".

Think that says it all.
In Australia they were quite open about this. - I once got pulled over for a "random Sigma check"; they were just pulling over every Mitsubishi Sigma.

I have to say I sometimes find the opposite is true. I drive a couple of Range Rovers for work and often find it difficult to get let in at junctions or when merging into traffic etc. almost as if they think you're automatically bullying them because of the size of your car. The other side of the coin is that I must admit I very rarely let someone in if they are in a big flash car!

In contrast I don't usually have any problem driving the little diesel Lupo I also have, happily zipping in and out of traffic. I love driving that.

Funnily I don't get challenged in the Cl but apparently sons do when they are driving it.

Tailgated by everything whenever I'm in the AMG. And no I'm not a slow driver

My lovely red RX8 got a lot of attention, comments like "Nice car", people stopping to watch me set off at lights (as if it's some kind of fast car) and then questions from the more familiar.

The Merc gets more respect than any of the other cars, I think people tend to see you as likely a more mature driver. I have had a couple of complementary comments, including someone impressed that the boot opens itself when you pop it on the fob... (psst, just a spring, nothing fancy!).

I've had little cars, Kas, and a punto and you do get bullied out of the way a lot. It's strange because if I was doing the speed limit now, people'd happily drive behind, in a cheap little car, the speed limit is holding them up!

Get outta my way. :thumb: :p

Was it you trying to run me off the M62? - Someone in a Mercedes made a big fuss about the little Hyundai being in the middle lane and made a show of pulling in front and slowing down.

I overtook him and that seems to make him even more angry about it, but I really don't know why. :dk:

I wouldn't/couldn't brake check anyone ever.

If you were hogging the middle lane though, while not overtaking a thing to the left, that'd likely get on my nerves...

Tbh most people seem to keep out of my way in the s class, same in my Lexus - I think it's the DRL's! People seem to like getting in the way of my Mrs Range Rover though.

Its a valid question Alex.. I drive buses, double deckers and the difference to the way you drive is immense.. you learn to read the road and anticipate other road users and their antics.. so many times have I been cut up by other users that think you can just stop a huge bus on a dime.. IT DON'T HAPPEN! Instead I've to reel it in, lift off, feather the brake and keep my egg head passengers safe.. change to my van and its a different story.. it attracts attention I guess because its shiny and the "Hold Back" dial is turned down because bad driving pisses me off there's no real need for it but its there and it happens.. so yes driving styles change pending on the vehicles you drive, hop into the 320 and Yeehaw, BIIIIIIGGG SMILES..

One thing to think of, all of you is this, you can beat me in a bus, that has 56 passengers on board, you cut me up at the lights and.. just where do you think a freaking large bus is going to go, probably halfway up your car as I try to stop, as I now have injured punters thanks to this manoeuvre .. so when your car is in for repair and you have to get to work, by bus, have a heart for the driver as he didn't throw you about, he tried to preempt a "stupid" manoeuvre and avoid the collision...

Last edited:
I get a completely different experience driving a classic to a modern car. I'd prefer less close up attention though - eating into my safety zone simply to gawp is not enjoyable.

I like to make eye contact with people, so I am more likely to let in someone in a normal saloon to someone in a large SUV with blacked out windows. I'll happily pull over on the motorway to let someone in a properly fast car past, if they are giving it beans, but not someone who is at 71 while I am at 70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom